Gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jackieboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I guys what type of fish are compatible with golden Gouramis. The reason I am asking is because the golden will not stop bullying my dwarf flame and dwarf blue gourami.
Thanks
Jackieboy

Golden gouramis are considered to be one of the most aggressive if not the most agressive of the gourami species.
Usually when they're small they are peaceful, but the older and bigger in size they get the more aggressive they get.

They do vary in personality though, sometimes found to be very docile..they are also especially nasty against small dwarf gouramis. This species is recommended to be kept with similar sized fish, or really fast fish.

What size aquarium do you keep your golden gourami? And what size is your golden gourami?

Fishnova said:
Golden gouramis are considered to be one of the most aggressive if not the most agressive of the gourami species.
Usually when they're small they are peaceful, but the older and bigger in size they get the more aggressive they get.

They do vary in personality though, sometimes found to be very docile..they are also especially nasty against small dwarf gouramis. This species is recommended to be kept with similar sized fish, or really fast fish.

What size aquarium do you keep your golden gourami? And what size is your golden gourami?

I have him in a 40 gallon and he is about two inches long.

Gourami are generally best in a ratio of 1 male to 2 or more females. The dwarf gourami are the same species (c. lalia) regardless of coloration or common name affixed. The unfortunate part is that the vast majority of dwarfs sold are male because they have better coloration and sell better. Many wholesalers and importers will not offer females at all. The "Golden" trichogaster trichopterus will get much larger than the dwarfs (5"+). They are almost always sold as unsexable juveniles.

HN1 said:
Gourami are generally best in a ratio of 1 male to 2 or more females. The dwarf gourami are the same species (c. lalia) regardless of coloration or common name affixed. The unfortunate part is that the vast majority of dwarfs sold are male because they have better coloration and sell better. Many wholesalers and importers will not offer females at all. The "Golden" trichogaster trichopterus will get much larger than the dwarfs (5"+). They are almost always sold as unsexable juveniles.

So do you think I should return the golden gourami because he is really aggressive

Yes or return the two dwarfs. You may eventually run into issues with them. Although individual fish definitely break some of our "rules" from time to time. :)

HN1 said:
Yes or return the two dwarfs. You may eventually run into issues with them. Although individual fish definitely break some of our "rules" from time to time. :)

Would the two dwarfs fight?

Quite possibly, yes. If your tank has enough cover and territories, they may be fine. I'd be wary and keep an eye out though.

Back
Top Bottom