Gouramis???????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jramatized

Aquarium Advice Regular
Today I got 2 dwarf Gouramis . One is blue with just a little red/orange on it. Like one the tips of its fins( just a tad) and then a little orange as stripes. No spots. The other is orange/red with blue stripes and blue under its chin/breast?

My question is, are these signs that one is male and the other is female, or could they both be the same sex and different breeds. Their "antenas" lol are the same in size pretty much and they both are about the same size. I was doing some reading on them and gatherd that maybe the one with the orange/red is the male and the blue is female? Is this right or does that only apply with the other Gouramis?

also is a it pronunced GORE-MAY? lol

I believe the blue one said it was a blue neon dwarf and I dont know about the other one. They do not have spots on them

thanks in advance,
Jrama

Jramatized said:
Today I got 2 dwarf Gouramis . One is blue with just a little red/orange on it. Like one the tips of its fins( just a tad) and then a little orange as stripes. No spots. The other is orange/red with blue stripes and blue under its chin/breast?My question is, are these signs that one is male and the other is female, or could they both be the same sex and different breeds.

Sounds like you have two males of different colour morphs (same species, but different colours)...one wild-type, the other 'powder blue'. Females are mostly colourless with a very muted pattern.

also is a it pronunced GORE-MAY? lol

No..."gourmet' is pronounced 'gore-may', "gourami" is pronounced 'goo-rah-mee'.

Depending on your tank size and how it is set up for plants/decorations/etc, you may see some aggression between the two males.

hmm I have a 29 gal. Pretty decorated. So far they are fine with each other. If your prediction is right, how would I go about getting a female of the same species? Just a dull color?

Ask your LFS to bring some in...they are readily available to shops, but few shops carry them as they do not sell well, being drab compared to the males.

Attachments

• fish116_154.jpg
    fish116_154.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 176
It sounds like they are both male just different colour variations.
In my 10g,I have 2 Male Dwarf Gourami's, one is Powder Blue and the Other is a Red. The Red One seems to be aggressive towards the Blue one, chasing it allaround the aquarium. I have 2 plants, a roman arch and fake rock formation so there are plent of hiding spots, but the red one still chases the blue one fairly relentlessly. I have had both fish for about 3 weeks now. Does anyone know if i should be concerned about the well being of the Blue one and is there anything else that I can do.

Attachments

• dsc00016__small_.jpg
    dsc00016__small_.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 101
  • dsc00019__small_.jpg
    dsc00019__small_.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 97
yea thats what they look like but a neaon blue and a red and blue.. thanks. yea that female is pretty guly lol.. Id like to have them mate, they are bubblenesters which would be cool to watch.. thanks for the info

Back
Top Bottom