Grass Everywhere

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tony1021

Aquarium Advice Activist
just new to this forum and so far i've gotten a lot of useful information, however, i have this one question...

I have grass growing all over my sand, rocks, and glass. I know this can't be normal so what should I do.

I just finished doing a 25% water change and the tank is only 3 weeks old. I have 1 fish 5 crabs and 1 snail that were given to me from the previous owner. I also have 1 rock with a few red mushrooms on it.

Thanks,
tony

forgot the images :)

">">

Looks like it's just algea, pretty common in new tanks. Mine tank's comming up on 3 months old and I still have algea. Check your nitrates if above 20, do a pwc and cut back on lighting if you want to get rid of it. I just leave it alone except when its on the glass, otherwise I just let my snails have at it.

i leave the light on for about 10 - 12 hours a day as i have the red mushrooms growing...would they be fine if i cut back lighting say to 8 hours a day?

That looks like hair algae on the rock and possibly the start of cyano (possibly diatoms if the tank is newish) on the sand. I would cut the lights to 8 hours, reduce feeding, use RO/DI water.
What fish do you have in the tank?
How old is it?
What/how much/how often are you feeding?

I have 1 chromy and 2 goby's...about 5 hermits and 1 snail

I've read that I should have 10 hermits and 10 snails as part of the cleaning crew, is it bad to have more?

tank is just 3 weeks and a couple days old

i am feeding once every other day. I drop pellets until fish stop eating them, typically about 10 pellets. I feed them Nutrafin Max.

i buy water for water change from local aquarium. do i still need ro/di?

thanks for the responses and i will try those 10 steps

EDIT:

also, swept up the dirty looking sand and threw it away, is this bad, should i let the tank fight the algae on its own?

That's a lot of food (at least it sounds like it, not sure how big the pellets are).
You still have a newer tank so the brown on the sand could be diatoms and they will burn out on their own.
Also, with newer tanks, a smaller CUC is better since there is not as much for them to eat.
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of a lot of hermits. I like nassi, cerith and margirita snails, maybe a few hermits.
RO/DI is ideal, since you can control what goes in your tank and when the media needs to be changed...not to mention, you don't have to lug water back from the LFS.

Back
Top Bottom