Gravel to tank gallon ratio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thetadays

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What is a good ratio for pound of gravel per gallon of tank? My son wants to upgrade to a 75 gal tank and I am trying get him a rough estimate on how much everything will cost him to set up.

Has he tried sand? I switched and really prefer sand tanks. One of mine is a Walstad method with sand for a cap. Does he want a planted tank?

He is set on gravel. Our other tanks are gravel and the OCD kicks in

As for plants, he will probably go with some moss balls and a few leafy plants that look nice at PetSmart

The general advice for a basic tank with only a few plants would be a pound of gravel per gallon as starters.

Four 20lb bags of gravel would work pretty well for a regular 75 tank.

If you get it in there and decide you want a deeper bed, then add a bag until you reach the level you want.

With a tank this big, do we have to worry about the weight?

greetings.

to be precise about how much gravel/sand (whatever you chose) you could do a calculation on how much volume you need to cover the buttom of the aquarium with, substrate products usually say how much volume that they contain.

i.e. lenght X height (how tall the gravel layer sould be) X depth / 1000 = liters, unfortunately i don't know how you americans calculate it.

as for weight, i really doubt you sould be worried. i've never heard of anyone having problems with adding gravel/substrate/rocks to their tank.

We have a 55gal with approx 50lbs of sand in it for substrate with tons of rocks stacked for cichlids, plus the water. I don't think you'll need to worry about weight. :) I second hpiguy's suggestion though.

A full 75 with gravel and stand will run at least 750lbs.

Most floors in good shape can support that weight spread across a quality stand without issues.

It's little more than three good sized adult men sitting on a couch and watching a game on TV.

Back
Top Bottom