Gravel Vac question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopefulHobbiest

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is just a random question... i've seen different view points on this from researching with google lol

if you have a planted tank do you vac your gravel??

i do gravel vac's and i have a planted tank... not really as planted as i'd like but its getting there.

i just can't really imagine letting all the fish waste and other gunk just build up down there..

anyway, i was just curious to see what others thought.

You shouldn't be deeply vacuuming like you would in non-planted tanks, but you should still be cleaning the substrate. I generally use a swirling motion with the vac tube right above the substrate to disturb anything on the surface of the substrate so that I can suck it up. It's not as clean, but it ends up being plenty hygienic.

Deep cleaning too close to plant roots can cause damage. I wave my hand over the substrate to lift any loose detris into the water column right before WC's. I don't use a gravel vac at all in any of my planted tanks.

I usually don't go any lower than 1/4" or so if I go down at all. And yes, plants and heterotrophic bacteria in your substrate will break down the detritus that gets into the substrate.

Back
Top Bottom