Gravel Vac

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd say that depends on alot of different things....First I assume your asking how often?
I think this would depend on whether or not your prone to overfeeding. I personally gravel vac my tanks gravel once a week. This might seem like too much to some but I have a planted tank and I gravel vac around the plants. So while I gravel vac the tank weekly there are areas of my tanks that never ever get touched. I also feed my fish alot.

talloulou said:
Oh, and I forgot to add that I would avoid gravel vac if your tank is new and still cycling.
I agree. In general though, I vac with every water change. I don't like the idea of detritus just sitting there in the tank.

no My tank is not still cycling. I have a 300 gal tank with 2 oscars and 2 fronts all about 4-5"

For the 30 gal - Weekly and deep.

For the 75 gal planted - Weekly...just skimming surfaces I can get at. I'll even skip a week depending on test results for NO3, etc.

As the others have stated, I also gravel vac weekly. Since I have all sand tanks, it's just surface vacing. I can't stand to see the fish waste.

They make longer gravel vac tubes for bigger tanks.. If its not planted I deep vac the hole thing every water change.. at worst thats weekly and most of the time it dictates how big of a pwc % I will end up changing.. sometimes getting all the gravel vacumed I have to chang 50-75% of the water in the process with the smaller tanks.. I would think with a 300gal you could get all the gravel vac-ed with a 25% change..

greenmagi said:
I would think with a 300gal you could get all the gravel vac-ed with a 25% change..

God, thats 75 gallons a week. What a monster of a tank!

Back
Top Bottom