Green Algae overload

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chattTiger

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can anyone confirm if this is green film algae? Any recommendations for getting rid of it?

I have a new tank 2.5 months old. It is a 65 gal and has 70 lbs of live rock, and crushed coral substrate. To date I have only cured the live rock and added cleaners (snails, hermits, shrimps, emerald crabs). No fish or corals present. Until this week I have a no algae problems but all of a sudden I had a big bloom. It covered the glass and rock. I was able to get it off the glass with float magnet. But trying to get it off the rock with a tooth brush didn't work. I think I may have caused this bloom by overfeeding the inverts. I was worried about them starving since there are no fish yet and thus no food scraps.

Since there are no corals yet, would keeping the lights off work?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 109
Thanks... I am wondering though since this is my first algae attack, when the algae dies on the rock will it turn brown? If not how will I know it is safe to turn lights back on?

Consider some algae eating fish, tangs , blennies , etc. A lawnmower blenny would make a great addition. But as all blennies/gobys , they are pricey. Yet you with save in the long run.

But considering your viewpoint, i would add that the foxface is a good algea eater.

No fish just black out! Fish create waste which will feed algae. At most a snail and a black out should do. Then slowly put the lights back on, a few hours a day to start.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
But considering your viewpoint, i would add that the foxface is a good algea eater.

Second that, my fox face destroyed my algae. I would suggest you do a blackout though. You don't need lights so leave them off. Get some snails and look at getting some GFO and carbon. Don't know what your doing for filtration but there should be some way to incorporate it, little pouch full of it or something. The carbon and GFO will help by absorbing phosphates and nitrates which is algae food. This will not kill it but help prevent it growing back.

Back
Top Bottom