Green algae ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have some green algae building on the back of my tank. It isn't super bad yet but would like to know the best way to clean it and what to use and how to prevent it????

I do about a 30% weekly change, and my level are good.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'll give the inside glass a once over when I do my PWCs. Seems to keep things clear.
As far as preventing it, the first step is usually reducing the amount of time your lights are on.

The simplest place to start is how long your lights are on. then perhaps what kind of lights. I had two 18" flourescents on a 55g tank that COULDN'T grow algae, it was kind of nice. I switched to 2 48" bulbs and now I grow a nice crop for my pleco and gourami. :)

If you don't have live plants then you can turn your lights on for as little as 2 hours a day, just so long as the fish get SOME period of light.

Tanks are going to have some algae growth. It's just the nature of the beast. There's not much you can do about it other than scrape it off. However, if its growing thick or very quickly (within a day or two) then that's a different matter.

I have live plants. And I run my lights for 8 hours a day. And the algae growth isn't fast at all. Just have a little build up on the back glass. When I see it on the front or sides. I scrub it off.

Yeah, about all you can do is scrape it off. I have a metal tipped algae scraper that works on the really tough algae.

Added 3 new Tiger Nerite Snails today. Here they are : ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405892846.956027.jpg

Back
Top Bottom