Green Carpet Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Limmet

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey all, sorry if i put this in the wrong thread im new and think this is right :p

i just bought a green carpet anemone, and put it in the tank. it is sitting on the sand bed right now, closed. (i put it in the tank like 10 min ago)
wut i would like to know is, am i doing anything wrong? there is some sand sticking to the anemone and it doesnt look like its moving :S, i have read up and heard that it "roams" looking for a place it finds happy. I have 2 clown fish about 3 inches long ( Clarkii Clownfish ) they check it out, then swim away.

here is specs on the tank:
lotttta live rock
2 660 power heads
1 koralia 850 gph pwerhead
1 200w heater
filtter
ground probe
1 yellow tang, 2 felmale athias, 2 clarkii clownfish, 1 Purple Pseudochromis, 1 Saddle Valentini Puffer, and about 30 blue leg hermet crabs

60 gallon *long*

It may stay closed for a while till it gets used to the new tank. Over how long did you acclimate it to the tank. If you don't do it real slowly it can cause addition stress. He may "roam" eventually but not always right away. Clowns don't always host right away either. It may take some time. Give it a couple days to really acclimate to the tank before you get to concerned. What kind of lights do you have in the tank?

wow fast reponce! thanks alot!

im new to "reef" so im like extra carefull because it was 150 bucks! lol
it kinda looks like stuff is coming off of it:S when i look close i can see kinda bury stuff rising above it, that normal?

i have a 130w light over my tank

i let it sit in the bag for about 30 min, then slow put it in the tank, i first put it on the rock, then it fell of upside down so it has some sand stuck on it. it is not sitting on the sand close to the cornor of my tank.

iv bin running salt water for a long time now...i tryed going reef a few times but failed for some reasons....i feel confident now because i had fish in it for a while and i tested my water last night, and its perfect.

r u going to stay online for a little bit? if so i can take&send u a picture

here they are

Attachments

• IMGP0738.jpg
    IMGP0738.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 150
  • IMGP0739.jpg
    IMGP0739.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 144
Can you give a few more specs on your tank?
How much lr is "lotta"?
What kind of filter?
Protein skimmer?
What type of lighting?
Water parameters? especially nitrate, SG and pH

chill out dude, thank you for sayinh my tank looks clean, i just took off all the alge of the class last night
its 10 bucks a pound for live rock, and i spent about 1,000 bucks on it

coralife 130w light
ph- 8.0
no nitrate

tank from far back

Attachments

• IMGP0740.jpg
    IMGP0740.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 127
i let it sit in the bag for about 30 min, then slow put it in the tank, ...

You might look around the site for articles about "drip acclimation" for next time. Nothing, especially inverts, likes to put into the tank with only temperature acclimation. Depending on your tanks parameters, and the LFSs parameters, that could've been a pretty big shock for the guy.

Looking at the pics, I'd also agree that you should probably win an award for "Cleanest Nearly One Year Old Tank".

lol :p thanks

yea he is "suppost" to roam around looking for a place that makes him happy, but he hasnt bin doing that at all, do you think by the morning he should be alright?

Hi Limmet,

First of all Welcome to AA. This actually is the friendliest place to get advice on sw, So take a minute and chill.

People here are only trying to help, BUT to do so they need a certain amoount of information before they can formulate an opinon/answer to your question(s).

There's pretty much a standard littany that is asked because the combinations count and the chemistry in a tank is all related. The standard list of questions follows. Please try to answer them fully even if you have to answer 'IDK' (I Don't Know) for some:

What size is your tank? 60 gallons
What lighting do you have (type and wattage) 130w PC
How old is your tank ? 1 year?
How much LR, a/o LS is in the tank? 100 pounds?
Is the LR cured ? (when) (I'm assuming it is by now)
How did you cycle your tank and when? no big deal at this point
What inhabitants do you have ?
What filtration are you using ?
What PHs are you running?
What kind of salt are you using , and how are you making it?
What kind of H20 are you using ? Distilled , tap , RO/DI ?
Are you using any additives?
What are your water parameters ?
PH 8.0
SG
Temp
Ammonia
NitrIte
NItrAte 0
Calcium
Magnesium
Alk

You've already answered a few of them. Please answer the rest. Looking at your photos, if the tank is ready for an anemone this one will hopefully start acclimating to the tank in a few days.

What inhabitants do you have ? not sure what this means :S sorry
What filtration are you using ? Marineland Emperor Bio-Wheel
What kind of salt are you using -Cora-life salt
What kind of H20 are you using ? Distilled , tap , RO/DI ? -- tap water (then put cap full of prime in, i do a water change about once and somtimes twice a week)
Are you using any additives? idk
What are your water parameters ? not sure what this is ..idk
PH 8.0
Temp--80
Ammonia -0
NitrIte -0
NItrAte 0
Calcium idk (dont have the cal tester..ill pick 1 up asap
Magnesium idk

Inhabitants are your livestock. I should have copied that from your original post:
1 yellow tang, 2 felmale athias, 2 clarkii clownfish, 1 Purple Pseudochromis, 1 Saddle Valentini Puffer, and about 30 blue leg hermet crabs

What is your SG (salinity or specifc gravity)? This is very important and one of the items that can shock an animal if changed too quickly. That the reason for a dirp acclimation or gradual addition of tank water to the bag holding a specimen. It allows the SG to slowly equalize. It is best measured with a refractometer.

oh...i didnt know that
i have no clue, what can i buy to find out my gravity?

How did you cycle your tank and when? no big deal at this point...

I actually think this could become more of a deal in the near future, because I'm finding it very hard to think this tank has been up for nearly a year. Maybe it's been full of water for nearly a year, but how long since it's been cycled and had fish in it? Water parameters will shift quite a bit in a just cycled tank.

I mean c'mon... all the stuff hanging on the back (heater, ground probe, temp probe, filter intakes) are absolutely spotless. The back glass under those things is spotless. The plastic plants still look green! The sand looks like it just came out of the bag. Nice dusting of diatoms on the rock which normally occur during, or just after a cycle.

It just don't add up! :silly:

umm, the sand is very dirty...it may look white in the picture, but its really not lol big differance....the plants look green, but i can see alot of alge on it now....the heater and glass ... like i JUST said...i clean agle off that every week! i like a clean looking tank,..but there is alot more alge the it looks like in the picture..it had fish in it ..yes for a year.

Back
Top Bottom