Green Cloudy Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

birdfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 5 gallon tank with 6 neon tetras and my water over the last few days has turned green and cloudy. I have 2 small decorations and two plastic plants in the tank. The tank is in our kitchen right by the window but the blinds almost all the way down and closed. We have one of those backgrounds attached to the back of the tank. And I leave the light on in the tank all day and turn it off at night. I feed a small amount flake food once every morning. I do have a filter running and I just did a 20% water change 1 day ago. From what I've read it sounds like algae bloom maybe?? Any suggestions on how to cure this if this in fact algae bloom?? If not, any ideas as to what it might be.

I did notice leftover food sitting on the bottom so I have cut back the amount I feed. Should I start feeding every other day. Also, we really don't have anywhere else for the tank except where it's at in front of the window. Since it's getting sunlight from being by the window should I just leave the lights off all day and night. Thanks in advance for any help.

It sounds like an algae bloom to me! How many hours do you think the light is on in the tank? A lot of times a tank only needs 6-10 hours of light. Another thing that could be causing it is the natural light from the window. I would suggest that you move it away from the window to cut down on the light that the tank is getting.

Sent from my C5170 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom