green coraline? post purple pink

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MorayMadness

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey everyone. my 55 reef tank with 70lbs lr with 260watts pc 10k and actinic very old lights thinking 3 years.

my once purple pink coraline algae on my lr is now a green color. is this normal? could it be lack of lighting intensity? i changed on of the bulbs the actinic and double the output of the other 3 so ill change them this weekend.

thanks

img_760950_0_7454707bda8c1a0be9aea8b5eb56061d.jpg

i would replace all of your bulbs with brand new one's right away. Old light bulbs can give of what i think is a lower or different kind of spectrum and makes for algea heaven from what i here. I replace my pc bulbs every 9-10 months even though they look good they are not.What kinda light fixter do you have? Oh i wouldn't buy your bulbs at the lfs they tend to mark up the prices buy about a 100%. You can get them online at half the price usually. I would try liveaquaria.com they are very good site to order from. I order everything for my tanks from them and never had a problem. have a nice day

thx yeah i have had a algae bloom of hair algea and what not replacing them asap. my lfs friend can get me each bulb at 27 $ better than other major lfs @ 50 each.

its a jbj 4 x 65 w pc setup.

Yes you are right . Old bulbs can give off a different spectrum that will enhance nuisance algea. When you change the bulbs it should help.

The color and growth rate of coralline algae is definitely affected by the spectrum and intensity of your lights.

Different colors (species?) of coralline will thrive or stagnate depending on water conditions and lighting.
Depending on the strains of coralline present, the water parameters, and the lighting, you could see all different colors of coralline including pink, purple, red, green, or white.

I would also only change 2 bulbs at once, then wait a month- and then change the other two...instead of hitting your tank with all that new light again all at once.

boardsurfer said:
I would also only change 2 bulbs at once, then wait a month- and then change the other two...instead of hitting your tank with all that new light again all at once.

(y) (y)

boardsurfer said:
Nice idea.
I'll do that next time I change my bulbs.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom