green growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piscesman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Is it just me, or is this aquarium world going to eventually drive me mad?
So in one tank, I have the on-going green cloudy water issue going on, am doing partial water changes daily, no lights etc. etc. still green and cloudy!!!
However, in another tank, (which at present is cycling with no fish in it, about 3 weeks into it,) I have noticed small green like blobs, looks like moss, forming on the decorative stones in the tank!!! What is this? is it ok? do I leave it, or get rid of them? I have no idea what they are, good or harmful. I just don't want any issues with the second tank from this early stage!
Anyone know what these things are?
Thanks.

green growth / cloudy water

Hello Pis...

Daily, partial water changes can disturb your substate enough to cause cloudy water. Too much light and feeding can contribute to algae growth and tiny particles will float around the tank.

I've had a similar problem with my tanks when I do a lot of planting and just generally move the gravel around too much. When I notice the water not clearing as quickly as I want, I use a fairly large HOB power filter to supplement the the existing filter. I put only polyfiber in the HOB. The polyfiber works very well to collect the small particles floating in the water and within a few days, the water is clear again. If the water is extremely cloudy, then you'll to replace the polyfiber every couple of days and run the extra filter longer.

This procedure works well for me.

B

Back
Top Bottom