Green hair algae outbreak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay so I've not changed one thing I've been doing to the tank and now I have green hair algae starting everywhere, this is starting to really get to me, I looked up rotalabutterfly and it says adjust co2 (I don't use co2) , it says increase water flow but I have 2 aquaclear hob's a 110 and a 70 that move the water pretty swiftly, what do I do?

I have one spot in my 20 Nursery where it pops up and I use a toothbrush to pull it out. But hoping someone else will chime in with something more permanent.

Imidiate action - PWC to reduce organics (use this opportunity to pickup any decomposing plant parts) and reset any possible overdose on ferts, less feeding for a few days so less organics introduced. See how it goes front there

It's actually not hair algae it's CLADOPHORA, phosphate is 1.2 I'm guessing because the test kit i have is really hard to judge, I do 50% weekly water changes ritually, I guess this grows in dead zones of flow with high light, which makes sense only on the light part because it's directly under one of my 60° h.o white pods, shouldn't be a flow issue as i have 2 aquaclear hob's on a 55 gallon

CLADOPHORA https://imgur.com/a/s1O7A

Clado sucks!!! It's to much light. I went through when my high tech tank was in direct sunlight. Manual removal and h202 attacks. You may have to slash and burn some plants too. It's a hard battle

Clado sucks!!! It's to much light. I went through when my high tech tank was in direct sunlight. Manual removal and h202 attacks. You may have to slash and burn some plants too. It's a hard battle
Right now it's on hardscape and the rhizome of one of the anubias, no sunlight hits my tank and my light isn't really that good, is there anything I should do with the light? I have the option to reconfigure all the pods if that will help.

I'm floating my Rotala butterfly, started lossing color in the tank it was in. (Less light) I started floating it in my other tank( a little better light) a few day's ago. And it's doing great. Brightened up. If you can float yours over the area in the tank where it's getting the algae, might help that spot and your plant at the same time.

I'm floating my Rotala butterfly, started lossing color in the tank it was in. (Less light) I started floating it in my other tank( a little better light) a few day's ago. And it's doing great. Brightened up. If you can float yours over the area in the tank where it's getting the algae, might help that spot and your plant at the same time.
That's what Dennis wong said, he saud I need to Over shadow where my h.o whites are with bushier plants, i don't want to float plants right now as my light is not good and will starve the plants of light which will cause a whole different set of problems as my plants will die.

Okay so I've not changed one thing I've been doing to the tank and now I have green hair algae starting everywhere, this is starting to really get to me, I looked up rotalabutterfly and it says adjust co2 (I don't use co2) , it says increase water flow but I have 2 aquaclear hob's a 110 and a 70 that move the water pretty swiftly, what do I do?
I constantly test and do regular water changes but decided to get some help from a common houseplant called Pothos (devil's ivy). I put 10 eight inch cuttings in the bach of my tank to root and root they did. It's been 4 months now and my Pothos cuttings are really sucking up the nitrates...thriving well. I have no algae of any type. The Pothos looks really nice at the tank from the front, but the pic I'm going to attach is from the back of the tank and looks cluttered. I should be able to remove some of them soon as they are quite big now and won't need as many.20180413_164625.jpg

I constantly test and do regular water changes but decided to get some help from a common houseplant called Pothos (devil's ivy). I put 10 eight inch cuttings in the bach of my tank to root and root they did. It's been 4 months now and my Pothos cuttings are really sucking up the nitrates...thriving well. I have no algae of any type. The Pothos looks really nice at the tank from the front, but the pic I'm going to attach is from the back of the tank and looks cluttered. I should be able to remove some of them soon as they are quite big now and won't need as many.View attachment 308410
CLADOPHORA is not caused by parameter imbalance, it's caused by high light in a slow flow zone, but I don't have slow flow zones in my tank

CLADOPHORA is not caused by parameter imbalance, it's caused by high light in a slow flow zone, but I don't have slow flow zones in my tank
There are. between 9000 and 12000 species of Chlorophyta (green algae) with many of the many Cladophora species growing in still water, fast moving shallow streams, and found in both fresh and marine waters. Even the little round moss balls that people buy from pet shops are member of Cladophora. Two things that they feed on are nitrogen and phosphorus. Both they can absorb between water changes. My Pothos suggestion was just a way of me trying to help get both elements under control.

There are. between 9000 and 12000 species of Chlorophyta (green algae) with many of the many Cladophora species growing in still water, fast moving shallow streams, and found in both fresh and marine waters. Even the little round moss balls that people buy from pet shops are member of Cladophora. Two things that they feed on are nitrogen and phosphorus. Both they can absorb between water changes. My Pothos suggestion was just a way of me trying to help get both elements under control.
My phosphate is 1.1, everything in my tank is perfect, I have 20 nitrates, I can't do pothos I have sealed lids I could remove the plastic parts which would give me 3" width 4 ft long, I had no problem with algae in this tank until I added the 2 h.o white led pods to my strip, it's weird because directly under the ho whites is where it's growing.

My phosphate is 1.1, everything in my tank is perfect, I have 20 nitrates, I can't do pothos I have sealed lids I could remove the plastic parts which would give me 3" width 4 ft long, I had no problem with algae in this tank until I added the 2 h.o white led pods to my strip, it's weird because directly under the ho whites is where it's growing.
That makes sense to me. The hot whites are not always brighter, but closer to full spectrum. I didn't know the configuration of your tank lid. There is no guarantee that my Pothos suggestion would help anyway.

That makes sense to me. The hot whites are not always brighter, but closer to full spectrum. I didn't know the configuration of your tank lid. There is no guarantee that my Pothos suggestion would help anyway.
I have a modular light, it's a crappy Elive I added 30 pods to so that I could grow plants, i added the 60° high output whites to push the other light deeper into the tank and now I got 2 spots growing cladophora ugh, I can move the pods in the fixture to a more heavily planted spot but I don't have bushy plants to Over shadow the others.

I have a modular light, it's a crappy Elive I added 30 pods to so that I could grow plants, i added the 60° high output whites to push the other light deeper into the tank and now I got 2 spots growing cladophora ugh, I can move the pods in the fixture to a more heavily planted spot but I don't have bushy plants to Over shadow the others.
I saw a post wher someone used a toothbrush to remove theirs. So I guess that occasional manual removable may be your only option. There are chemical treatments available for algae removal, but not for planted tanks. Good luck.

I saw a post wher someone used a toothbrush to remove theirs. So I guess that occasional manual removable may be your only option. There are chemical treatments available for algae removal, but not for planted tanks. Good luck.
Well I can dose direct with excel or h2o2 and it will kill it, but I just need to get bushier plants or remove the high output whites from my fixture

Well I can dose direct with excel or h2o2 and it will kill it, but I just need to get bushier plants or remove the high output whites from my fixture
I really don't recommend the use of hydrogen peroxide in an aquarium, but at the same time, I use chemical treatments as I need them. I'm a retired Chemist, so as long as the product lists it's ingredients, I know when to safely use a chemical. If you do use H2O2, be really precise on the dosage as you can be.

Back
Top Bottom