Green Mandarin, They think its food!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Munskins

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Current fish in tank: Lemon Peel Angel, Huma Picasso, Blue Tang, Niger, 2 Yellow-Tail Blue Damsels.

I just bought a green mandarin and all my fish pick at its fins and body like its seaweed :x :evil: . I put the madarin in my quarantine pale/bucket with no circulation (think thats gonna be a prob) and put some medication in there.

Anyone have any advice?

I put the madarin in my quarantine pale/bucket with no circulation (think thats gonna be a prob)

It will certainly be a problem with no circulation. There is another problem associated with quarantining mandarins, they very rarely take prepared foods and eat pods off the LR of the tank, while the fish is recovering from injury, a good diet is imperative. Hard to give them a good diet, if there is nothing for them to eat.

Anyone have any advice?

Take the mandarin back, the fish you already have in the tank (what size) are not compatible with the mandarin, some not necessarily compatable with each other 8O

Please tell us more about your tank.

I have an 8 pound (got ripped off for 50 bucks) LR, but im not sure i should put it in the quarantine bucket since i put Ampicillex for his fin and tail rot. Although it said in the back of the box that it will not affect biological filter beds.

So is it safe to put the LR in there?

Lemon Peel Angel, Huma Picasso, Blue Tang, Niger, 2 Yellow-Tail Blue Damsels

What size tank? I might suspect overcrowding as part of the problem, unless you have a 100g or bigger tank.

I have an 8 pound (got ripped off for 50 bucks) LR,

For a Mandarin to thrive, you're going to need at least 50-75lbs of LR at a minimum, and preferably, a DSB substrate. If you only have the one 8 lb rock (and $50.00 isn't all that far off), then I'd definitely return the fish.

Take the mandarin back, the fish you already have in the tank (what size) are not compatible with the mandarin, some not necessarily compatable with each other

I agree with this statement completely. Again, tank size? What are you currently using for filtration?

but im not sure i should put it in the quarantine bucket since i put Ampicillex for his fin and tail rot.

I wouldn't put the LR in the quarantine bucket. I'd simply return the Mandarin to the LFS. It's quite unlikely to survive in your tank - with the other fish that you have, and also, with not enough LR for a continual food source.

Back
Top Bottom