Green Terror Injuries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yatesy30

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys. New member here. I wanted to ask advice about Amy green terror. I believe he got into a fight with my red terror and has some scale damage. I will attach pictures. He has a large red spot on him where his scales have been ripped/bitten off (at least I think, or please advise on other possibilities ie red spot disease etc) - though he was completely healthy a day or two ago.

My main questions are about treatment. He’s now in a 20 gallon hospital tank by himself with stable water quality and parameters. I’m wondering about Epsom salts and medication (I have melafix, though I’ve read mixed reviews on this, I also have API stress coat which was recommend by a knowledgeable friend).

What would you guys recommend for treatment of him? I’ve been told epsom salt (1 tsp per 5-10 gallons in the hospital tank plus stress coat). I’ve also been told that epsom salt could possibly get inside the open wound and cause further issues?

My lfs guy recommended trying the Melafix first to try to repair the scale damage before using epsom salt.

Anyways please advise on what you would do. Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• 00D4A18B-146F-494E-AFBA-1F3694F51506.jpg
    00D4A18B-146F-494E-AFBA-1F3694F51506.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 25
  • C100DF51-CA07-4A86-A4C1-28CF4096DCB3.jpg
    C100DF51-CA07-4A86-A4C1-28CF4096DCB3.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 18
Thats a level of injury ive not dealt with. Hopefully someone else chips in.

Melafix will help prevent the wound getting infected. If its already infected it wont help much unless its a mild infection. Its more of a preventative than a cure.

In my opinion, clean water along with isolation and melafix will give your fish opportunity for the wound to heal. If things get worse you can look at more effective infection treatment. What you can do depends on what treatments are available in your location. Some countries have strict control of antibiotics.

And to add. My understanding of epsom salt os that its good for treating internal problems and wont do much for injuries and wounds. Aquarium salt is used to treat injury.

I second Aiken Drum. Fish can recover from pretty bad physical injuries quickly if given clean water and a low stress environment. Adding the Melafix is a decent idea to stave off secondary infection.

Just give him time to rest and clean water and he should make a full recovery. The injuries look mostly superficial and don't appear to have actually punctured his body cavity so that is a good thing.

Let us know how he progresses!

Thanks for the Input guys, appreciate it. He is now in a 20 gall hospital tank. I’ve been doing melafix and epsom salt while keeping the water quality pristine and it seems to be getting better slowly but surely!!

Back
Top Bottom