Green Thumbs, a few questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roka64

Aquarium Advice Addict
1. I have a Japanese Maple. I noticed it is dropping seeds. Can I replant these seeds or are they sterile? I don't know if there are any others around to pollinate it.

2. I also have a new (about 5.5 foot) Flowering Cherry Tree. Any advice on pruning, helping with health or suggestions?

I don't know about the Japanese maple, but my parents had a flowering cherry in the yard for many years. This tree is susceptible to mid-summer leaf drop caused by excessive temps. You can prevent this by selectively pruning interior shoots. This will allow better air circulation in the canopy that will help keep temps down. As with any flowering tree/shrub, pruning should be done after the flowers have fallen off.

Cherry trees are also magnets for tent moth caterpillars. A small colony can completely defoliate a small tree, so keep an eye out for their tell-tale nests - see pics here: The Eastern Tent Caterpillar
Destroy the silken nests and watch the birds feast on the exposed caterpillars.

I'm not going to be any help to you ... In the city where I live we only of two types of tress --- dead or rotting -- good luck, I googled Japanese Maple - nice looking tree -- :scrambleup:

I love Japanese Maples. My parents have one in their landscaping and it is gorgeous. All I have are three dead trees at my house so I'm of no help.

I'm in Wv, where this is their native land, or so the guy that sold me the tree stated (on the cherry tree).
Thanks for the links and info!

Back
Top Bottom