Green Tint in Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prisoner1572

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've attached a picture of my tank. It shows the green tint I see in the water. Is this from floating algae in the water or something else?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 119
Could be. Do you have a skimmer? I see the veggie clip there- do you put a lot of algae sheets in tank for tang? Could be that breaking up, floating around and disintegrating in water.

A green tint in the water is usually from an algae bloom. It's usually caused by excessive nutrients in the water. How often do you do water changes and how big are they? What kind of water do you use? Tap, well, RO/DI, etc? What are your water parameters, especially nitrate and phosphate?

I do have a skimmer. I put 1/4 of the rectangular veggie sheets in the clip every day. I use tap water and change 5 gallons of the 125 gallon tank each week. I'll test the parameters and get back to you.

Im guessing that it's too much seaweed. 1/4 sheet a day for one Tang seems like a lot to me. He's probably grazing on algae on the rocks already.

TheTodd said:
Im guessing that it's too much seaweed. 1/4 sheet a day for one Tang seems like a lot to me. He's probably grazing on algae on the rocks already.

That seems like too much. I think my container of seaweed reads to give a 1"x 2" piece. It's probably disintegrating and giving green hue to water.

prisoner1572 said:
I use tap water and change 5 gallons of the 125 gallo.

It's not adviceable to use tap water. You should use RO/DI or RO water at least.

Yeah I would never use tap water and yeah try to cut down on the seaweed and you could get a couple of turbo snails to help clean up the algae

Back
Top Bottom