growing dry aponogeton bulbs from wal mart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cody g

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Has anyone had good success with these aponogeton bulbs from wall mart. I planted six of them about ten days ago, maybe more. I know it says fifteen days but in the past I have waited at least a month and a half. What am I doing wrong!?

aponogeton bulbs (AKA "Mystery Bulbs") Being that its always a mystery if they will sprout or not. I have bought some of those at walmart before and I have only had 50% chance in a high tech tank. I would suggest buying them from Petsmart or online. With the ones at petsmarts bulbs i have an 80% chance. If you would just like the plants I have one or two I would be willing to sell you. Not the bulbs but the plant itself.

I've had better luck getting them to grow when I put them in a bowl of tank water on a sunny windowsill for a week or two. When I put the bulbs in my tank, more often than not they just grow mold and fungus and spike my nitrates.

Once they sprout in the bowl, then I put them in the tank and they take off. I'm guessing that only about 25% have ever sprouted though

I have had success with these plants. I was successful in sprouting 2 apongeton crispus. One of them is now GIANT and beautiful. Check and see if the apongeton bulbs are squishy by gently squeezing them. If they are solid then they will grow eventually. If they are squishy then they won't grow. Sometimes it takes more than a month to see growth. So try to be patient. :) don't bury them they will root themselves.

Keep your receipt and the proof of purchase and you can return them to the company if they don't sprout. They honor their guarantee. I bought a pack of 4 and only 1 sprouted. I returned them and they sent me 11 more. 9 of those have sprouted :). Here are just a few of them.

Attachments

• image-213526573.jpg
    image-213526573.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 344
Darn it, I thought it wasn't worth it to request new ones! Boy was I wrong.
I do like the one of mine that grew though. It has a little flower on it.

Jee thanks for all your helps guys I guess I just need to be patient. Also how much would you think fluorite would help the sprouting process? When the bulbs turn kinda white or lighter is that the mold?

Mine turned white and had white fluffy stuff on them and when taken out of the water they stank bad! That's when I tossed them.

Back
Top Bottom