Growth on glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carminejp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone tell me what kind of algae this is?

Attachments

• image-2007286139.jpg
    image-2007286139.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 129
  • image-158795196.jpg
    image-158795196.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 119
Thank you for getting back to me.... It appears to be blackish purple and is growing outward into the tank. Like a lump. I know the green is algae and the white dots is Caroline. My snail doesn't seem to be going near it....

Carey, I have not touched it yet.... I don't want it to spread around the tank if its not good for the coral and fish.

Sorry about the back ground picture ..... I know it's not helping much either.

If its not hard and stuck to the glass very well then it most likely is cyano. That can be handled by using chemiclean to get rid of it and doing a good amount of water changes to keep it from re-appearing. I went through this with every one of my tanks when they were new, but after a dose and more careful feeding, lighting and more flow it never returned after I dosed the chemiclean.

The tank has been running for about 9 months now. I am not sure how long it has been there but my thoughts is not long. I just upgraded my lights to, Amazon.com: TaoTronics® 120w Dimmable Led Aquarium Lights Aquarium Hoods Led Reef Light for Coral Fish Seaweed TT-AL09(3w/Led, Blue/White Ratio- 28:27; Two-Year Warranty): Pet Supplies

The lighting is awesome however I wish I knew how measure how much light is good for the fish and corals. They are dimmable and I have it on the lowest setting. When I wake up blue lights for an hour leaving the blue light on I then turn on the white lights till 11pm off goes the white lights and the blues get turned off at 12am

What are your thoughts about purple up? The product?

Purple up is mostly calcium. You don't really need to add it to get coralline, but in my opinion, it can't hurt. lol Iuse it once in awhile and I also use it when I adjust and clean my powerheads. Since it's a milky color you can see the exact flow pattern of your tank, it's really nifty. :)

Calcium is one of those things that you really wont overdose on, just dont add it all the time. A good water change schedule, as clean as possible water and some light and the coralline will grow.

Back
Top Bottom