Growth on goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steph_W

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there everyone. I'm sorry if this seems long but I have a couple of questions. I have a friend who has a pond with goldfish and one of them have a large amount of what appears to be some form tumour like growths all over it's body. I myself am a goldfish enthusiast and have my own goldfish aquarium but can't say that I have seen this before. Also i'm not familiar when it comes to ponds but I would assume they have the same principals in fish care.

From what I can tell it doesn't seem to be a parasite but one of the other fish have recently started to get the same thing.Has anyone ever seen anything like this on their fish? The fish has had it for years and it only seems to be getting worse which make's me wonder if euthanasia would be the best option at this point :(.

She has had them for about 8 years and I can say that her pond is overstocked. I tested her water and the nitrates were very high (on my api test kit showing 160ppm) ammonia = 0, nitrite = 0 and her ph was very high at 8.8. She no longer has any live plants. Other than that the fish don't seem to be distressed in anyway and have lived this long.I know that goldfish should have a ph range of 6.0 to 8.0 but as the fish don't seem to be distressed and have obviously lived this long in those conditions, would lowering the ph possibly do more harm than good at this point?

Thanks guys :)

Attachments

• IMG_0683.JPG
    IMG_0683.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0677.jpg
    IMG_0677.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 44
I just googled Lumphocystis and your right!! it looks like that might very well be what it has. Thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom