Guidance Needed: Fuzzy Brown/Purple Algae Takeover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DrDee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone, I am looking for help regarding this purple brown algae like fuzz that is taking over my 50gal tetra and angel tank. It all started on a log, that finally acclimated to being come rely saturated in this freshwater tank; however it had now spread to rocks and any decorative item it can. I'd like to know what it is? The cause? And remedies we can partake in to be sure it's a healthy environment.

First off can you post a picture so it can be positively identified? Second how long do you run your lights daily? What type of lighting and bulbs do you have? What is your WC schedule and how much do you change out weekly? Lastly do you know your nitrate reading?

You can spot treat many types of algae with hydrogen peroxide but the underlying problem causing the algae needs to be corrected or it will just keep coming back. For now only run lights 6 hours a day until your algae problem is corrected.

First off can you post a picture so it can be positively identified?

Photo is in a album in my profile.

Second how long do you run your lights daily?

Lights are run 12 hr daily on a timer.

What type of lighting and bulbs do you have?

Led lights.

What is your WC schedule and how much do you change out weekly?

Change water every week to 2 weeks. We also have an additional gravel filter system.

Lastly do you know your nitrate reading?

I'd have to check tonight the nitrate reading.

It originated from the drift wood in the tank I think.

Most likely your lighting is your problem. You need to only run it 6 hours daily until the algae is gone. Then be sure to change water weekly, 50% is good as you will always have low nutrient levels.

To spot treat BBA you pull up in a syringe 1-3ml of hydrogen peroxide 3% per 1 gallon of tank water. Turn off filters, slowly squirt BBA as close to it as possible and leave filters off 20 minutes. Usually within 24 hours the BBA will turn red, pink, or white which means it's dying. If you have a lot of BBA you'll have to treat an area a day.

Back
Top Bottom