Guppie overload

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evox43

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, my girlfriend is a teacher and she had a tank in her room. Now that the school year is over she has brought the tank home and to my surprise there are a lot of guppies. The tank is a 33 gallon but i would say as a rough estimate there is probably 30+ guppies, 5 mollies, 2 algea eaters, a clown loach, a placostomis, 3 zebra dinamos, and 2 tetras. now my question is this, i realize the tank is probably overcrowded, all the guppies are quite small and we have not been loosing any fish at all. So i guess my question is this, should i just flush some guppies that i do not need anymore? or can anyone suggest a fish that would get rid of some of the guppies for me without killing all the guppies or harming my other fish. Thanks in advance guys.

You could go to [url=http://www.freecycycle.org set up account with a group in your area and offer them to someone I get fish for free off this site from people like you that need to get rid of fish

rehome (dont flush unless dead) everything but the guppies.depending on how many PWCs you are willing to do,and how big,i suggest keeping the 15 best looking guppies and rehoming the rest.

I would love to rehome the guppies but i do not have another tank.

Some pet stores will take them, or you could use them as feeders if you know anyone that has a fish that will eat them. An angelfish might eat the smaller ones and would help keep the population in check. Also, the clown loach, and the pleco if it's a common pleco, will soon outgrow that tank. They will both easily get over a foot long.

--Adeeb

Thanks for the reply, ill see if a pet store will take them, and yes the pleco is getting bigger and so is the clown loach (i got the clown loach to take care of my snail problem). But lately the fish have not been growing really at all. Is this because its overcrowded?

Back
Top Bottom