Guppies inactive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thekeymaker57

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys, new to the forum so go easy on me. Two weeks ago we purchased a 5 gallon tank, heather, tetra power filter and some plastic plants. 5 guppies and 3 ghost shrimp for the bottom (Ive since come to realise this may be overcrowding). I also had no clue what cycling the tank meant. Unfortunately I was naive and just went for it, now learning its not that easy.

Anyway, no problems for two weeks, but over the last few days two ghost shrimp have died. Now the guppies are very inactive, when I approach the tank they are all either bunched up underneath the heater, or floating still on top of the water. Like I said Im new to all this and learning each day. Am I now seeing the problems with not cycling a tank before putting my guppies in? Anything you can recommend that will help fairly quickly?

Will be buying a gravel vacuum for a water change, and water test kit soon, so cant provide stats on the water at the moment, apart from the fact it always been 78C.

Thanks for your help!

thekeymaker57 said:
Hi guys, new to the forum so go easy on me. Two weeks ago we purchased a 5 gallon tank, heather, tetra power filter and some plastic plants. 5 guppies and 3 ghost shrimp for the bottom (Ive since come to realise this may be overcrowding). I also had no clue what cycling the tank meant. Unfortunately I was naive and just went for it, now learning its not that easy.

Anyway, no problems for two weeks, but over the last few days two ghost shrimp have died. Now the guppies are very inactive, when I approach the tank they are all either bunched up underneath the heater, or floating still on top of the water. Like I said Im new to all this and learning each day. Am I now seeing the problems with not cycling a tank before putting my guppies in? Anything you can recommend that will help fairly quickly?

Will be buying a gravel vacuum for a water change, and water test kit soon, so cant provide stats on the water at the moment, apart from the fact it always been 78C.

Thanks for your help!

Water change of at least 50%. When did you do your last water change? If you've read up on fish in cycling you know that ammonia builds up & can cause death. You definitely need the liquid test kit to know what your ammonia, nitrites & nitrates are especially since you have fish. until you get the test kit I'd do 50% water changes on a tank that size. 5g is pretty small & I think you may be overstocked because of the guppies but someone else will need to confirm that.

shellieca said:
Water change of at least 50%. When did you do your last water change? If you've read up on fish in cycling you know that ammonia builds up & can cause death. You definitely need the liquid test kit to know what your ammonia, nitrites & nitrates are especially since you have fish. until you get the test kit I'd do DAILY 50% water changes on a tank that size. 5g is pretty small & I think you may be overstocked because of the guppies but someone else will need to confirm that.

Edited -

Thanks for your reply, I definately need a test kit.

However for these guys it was too late, Ive woke up to a guppy massacre! 4 dead, one barely alive, with a 'white edge' to it.

I changed the top of the water last night, as I wait to buy a gravel vacuum. Changed no more than 10% and replaced it with filtered water, treated with jungle start right, as usual.

I added some drops of ammo lock, which I found around the house a few days ago. Could this have been the cause of so many deaths so close together?

I know you guys cant be of much help without any water parameters. I have noticed the water looks more cloudy this morning.

Back to the drawing board I guess.

Sorry it went wrong for you :(

What's ammo lock?

You can use a cup to scoop out water to do a water change. It sounds like they could have had bad water conditions. Not having a cycled tank you would probably have had to do water changes, like 50% 1-2x per day to keep the toxic levels down. That is a VERY small space for guppies.

I have lots of guppies and they are dirty! Beautiful but dirty!

Guppies produce a higher amount of waste for their size, I guess, they are called big polluters, Goldfish are bigger waste producers.

Back
Top Bottom