Guppies or Tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenbrzl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone! We have a 3.5 gallon tank and our Betta recently died. We're wanting to get a type of fish that we can have more than 1 of. I've read that 2 guppies can be kept together in that size tank but that a few tetras can as well. Everything I've read said at minimum we would need 6 tetras, but our tank would be too small for that. I'm wondering if anyone knows if it would be ok to keep 2-3 tetras in that size tank or would it just be better to go with 2 guppies. We had neon tetras in our tank growing up but we also had a much larger tank, so I'm partial to them because they're nostalgic to me. I'd also like to put some live plants in the tank this time as all we had with our Betta was artificial. Any advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

The only fish i would recommend in that size tank is a single betta, and really a betta would be better in 5g.

From purely a bioload PoV a couple of guppies could survive in your tank, but it would be survive rather than thrive, and again a 5g should be considered the minimum size for 2 or 3 guppies.

Tetras are social fish and live better in groups, 6 is considered the minimum number of tetras for them to feel confortable and live a happy healthy life. Tetras are also usually active swimmers and need a bit of space. Even a small tetra like a neon should have a 10 gallon tank minimum to support a sufficiently sized group and give them enough space to swim around in. 20g would be better.

What Aiken says.

Can you get a 10 G tank? I’d give you one if we lived close together. I’d populate it with colorful male guppies or maybe some platy. Probably 6 tetras would do ok in a ten, but sure there are others here who know more about that than me.

If you can't get a larger tank, definitely don't put tetras in a 3.5 gallon. Go with 2 guppies but make sure that they are either both male or both female. Unless you want fry.

What Danio says.

There are some awesome inexpensive boy guppies with flowing long tails easily found at big & small pet shops. There’s a similar smaller fish called an endler. Looks like a small guppy. Perhaps 3 or 4 would work

Back
Top Bottom