Guppies staying at top of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spencerharrison

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone. I have a newer tank (approx 1 week old, 10 gallon with a HOB filter and heater). Was sold tank and idea of waiting a day and using conditioner and bio start liquid stuff to add fish on second day. I know now that a fish out cycle would have been better but here we are. I have been monitoring ammonia levels every other day and I have been keeping it around .5ppm.
Currently there are two guppies and two mollies with two crypt plants. The mollies are very happy swimming all around the tank, hiding in the plants, and hiding in the little cave my daughter picked. But the two guppies only stay to the surface (when the light is on) and may dive down for a bit but then go right back to the surface. The one always stays near the filter and has now started to hang out behind the filter body. I was worried he wasn't getting enough o2 so I lowered the water level a bit so the output of the filter disturbs the surface of the water more. I also got an air pump and adjustment valve and have an air stone with a small amount of fine bubbles coming up. But they still stay to the surface.
Any help and suggestions is greatly appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_2916.jpg
    IMG_2916.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2917.jpg
    IMG_2917.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 31
Have you done any water changes since getting fish?

Keeping ammonia + nitrite combined no higher than 0.5ppm is a good target. Are you seeing any nitrite with your ammonia?

Either way, a water change may benefit things. I dont think oxygenation is an issue.

Ammonia toxicity increases with higher pH. 0.5ppm wouldnt normally be of immediate concern but if you have a high pH then that could be an issue.

Apart from staying at the surface any other concerns with the fish? Are they eating? Any signs of illness?

Possibly they are just staying out of the way of the other fish. Is there anywhere in your aquascape they can hide away if stressed?

Last edited:
They both eat like Champs. I unfortunately don't have any other testers besides ammonia. I am saving up for the master test kit. Which is 50 bucks vs the 19 dollars for just the ammonia test, which is very irritating. There are lots of places to hide including the two crypt plants, a little cave decoration and a castle decoration. But those are all at the bottom of the tank.
I do notice when the light is off he swims more in the middle and when I check on thrm in the early morning before work usually he is sleeping at the bottom. Is the light too bright for him and he is just trying to get shade?

Unless you went out and bought an expensive light, i cant see the lights that come with those kinds of starter tanks being too bright.

You could try some kind of floating plant or a taller tank decoration to give them some shade and cover at higher levels though.

And as said, a water change wont hurt anything if you havent done one recently.

They are new to the tank though, possibly not in the greatest of shape from where you got them and need some time to settle in. If they are swimming and eating ok thats the main thing.

Are they just swimming at the surface or do they look like they are gasping for air?

I have read about the gasping for air behaviour but I'm not sure they are. Sure their mouths open a little here and there but they aren't just staying one spot opening their mouths wide and their gills flaring out. But then again I really don't know what I'm looking for.
How high should the water level be compared to output of filter? Currently I keep it about an 1/8" below to make sure the water disturbs the surface of the water.
The lights are led and came with the lid of the tank. It is three modules each with three led emitters. They are white as white can be maybe I can replace it with one that has more blue and red emitters? I also want my crypt plants to be happy

Here is a picture of the tank. Since this picture was taken the castle has moved to the right and a purple cave/mountain decoration has been put in thr middle. I put the bubble stone under the octopus on the left

Attachments

• received_331653178747611.jpg
    received_331653178747611.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2850.jpg
    IMG_2850.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 19
Your crypts are low light demand, so your light will likely be fine for them. Unless you plan on getting into plants then then there is no need to upgrade your light. Your plants will do better with a better light, but its not essential.

If your filter causes surface agitation its fine. The airstone will be adding to the oxygenation. I dont see an issue there.

A hint on aquascaping. Get a black background. It will hide all that equipment, cause everything in the tank you want to see to really pop out visually and might give your fish some added security and lessen any stress issues.

You could try some kind of floating plant or a taller tank decoration to give them some shade and cover at higher levels though.

What kind of floating plant would you suggest? I love having live plants in the tank. My LFS is having a big sale on plants and fish soon so it's the perfect opportunity to pick one up

My guppies normally spend most of their time near the top (i have 10 or so in a 29 with some swordtails). As long as they are eating happily (guppies love to eat) i wouldnl't worry. Some floaters I would consider include:
frogbit
hornworth
-
there are many others but those are simple ones. I want to warn you that hornworth can be finicky - some can't grow it but it grows well in my low tech aquarium. frogbit is a nice plant but it will have some difficulty if you have a lot of current.

Back
Top Bottom