Guppy in the corner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopeGR

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm a fairly new tank owner. This guppy was purchased 2 weeks ago. All was well until a few days ago it did just this - sit in corner in that stance.
I researched online and came up with a spine disease, is this true?

When I go to feed them, he comes no problem, eats a bit, then goes in the corner. I have seen him also tilt up almost vertically then swim back. He stopped mating with the females too. Is he about to die?

Attachments

• guppy.jpg
    guppy.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 35
I'm a fairly new tank owner. This guppy was purchased 2 weeks ago. All was well until a few days ago it did just this - sit in corner in that stance.

I researched online and came up with a spine disease, is this true?

When I go to feed them, he comes no problem, eats a bit, then goes in the corner. I have seen him also tilt up almost vertically then swim back. He stopped mating with the females too. Is he about to die?

Do you have an airstone? I know fish sit at the top in the coldest spot when oxygen levels are low.

Sadly, I found it dead this morning. No, I don't have an airstone - is that an air pump? Wouldn't the other guppies have difficult breathing then? Because it was just this one. I guess I can look into getting one if I have to.

So, i have a 10 gal tank with a 10gal air pump. You’ll have to buy a few feet of airline (this is cheap) and an airstone. The airstone can be bought at any pet store or on Amazon. You connect the line to the airpump and attach the stone at the end and put it in the tank. When you turn it on lots of bubbles will erupt from the stone continously. This just increases oxygen flow in the tank and help the little guys breathe. If your water temp is too high, oxygen levels start to lower. For now, lower the temp to a safe but lower number. (Guppies do well in 72°-78°F) if you see anymore fish acting that way after adding an airstone, it could be the water or an illness. Don’t invest in any medications until you try the airstone.

So, i have a 10 gal tank with a 10gal air pump. You’ll have to buy a few feet of airline (this is cheap) and an airstone. The airstone can be bought at any pet store or on Amazon. You connect the line to the airpump and attach the stone at the end and put it in the tank. When you turn it on lots of bubbles will erupt from the stone continously. This just increases oxygen flow in the tank and help the little guys breathe. If your water temp is too high, oxygen levels start to lower. For now, lower the temp to a safe but lower number. (Guppies do well in 72°-78°F) if you see anymore fish acting that way after adding an airstone, it could be the water or an illness. Don’t invest in any medications until you try the airstone.

Thanks for the advice. I ended up buying this from Amazon:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B081ZQMB28/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I asked if this was okay for a 20 gallon, and one responded that just one is suffice for my tank as with both would be overkill.

I also went with this air pump:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009YHU6Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you think it's okay? It's coming tomorrow and hopefully soon enough because I just saw another guppy hovering behind the filter :( The rest are simply swimming as usual.

Also, regarding the thermometer, the one I have is a 50 watt which said up to 20 gal tanks. Well, the thing never shut off, it was always on. But it never raised the temp past 78. So I went and bought a 100 watt thermometer that's for a tank 20 - 40 gallons. This one can actually go as high as 91 degrees, so I adjusted it to stay at 76 degrees, because with the first one I actually saw water evaporation of the tank - is that common? I have it at 76 degrees as I said and it doesn't always stay on like the first one, so I suppose it heats the water quicker? My water temp thermometer though seems to be reading 78 - it hasn't dipped at all.

Thanks for the advice. I ended up buying this from Amazon:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B081ZQMB28/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I asked if this was okay for a 20 gallon, and one responded that just one is suffice for my tank as with both would be overkill.

I also went with this air pump:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009YHU6Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you think it's okay? It's coming tomorrow and hopefully soon enough because I just saw another guppy hovering behind the filter :( The rest are simply swimming as usual.

Also, regarding the thermometer, the one I have is a 50 watt which said up to 20 gal tanks. Well, the thing never shut off, it was always on. But it never raised the temp past 78. So I went and bought a 100 watt thermometer that's for a tank 20 - 40 gallons. This one can actually go as high as 91 degrees, so I adjusted it to stay at 76 degrees, because with the first one I actually saw water evaporation of the tank - is that common? I have it at 76 degrees as I said and it doesn't always stay on like the first one, so I suppose it heats the water quicker? My water temp thermometer though seems to be reading 78 - it hasn't dipped at all.

I kind of feel like maybe your other thermometer was shorting out and overheating. I think its good that you got a new one. They shouldn’t be constantly running, they turn themselves on when the temp begins to drop and slowly raise it to keep it consistent. When it reaches optimal temp, it will turn back off to avoid overheating. Water will always evaporate and the warmer it is, the faster it will. To prevent water loss you can put a glass tank cover over the top to capture the condensation.

After you install the airstone watch your fish. If they are still hovering at the surface, do a water test. In fact, do one now anyway just in case. Hopefully you can just fix your parameters and help the little guys out. If its not oxygen, and its not water, then you can worry about illness.

Re:

So I got the pump and it works great. It also disrupts all the waste in the gravel which will make the filter pick it up and keep the aquarium cleaner.

But it looked like the fish got scared of it! They don't swim by it at all! Plus, I don't know but I feel like I shouldn't keep it on 24/7, so I will shut it before going to bed and then put it back on in the AM when I get up, is that ok?

Oh, regarding my fish...I think it is sick. It has the same sickness the other female guppy had before when it died a few days ago. It goes pale, gets this pointy thing coming out of its behind, and pretty much dies a slow death. It's so sad, I have no idea what or how it's dealt with. I read online that this usually happens to female guppies who give birth too many times. Needless to say, I got her early September. I just posted a new post, hoping someone knows to help. *sigh*

Back
Top Bottom