Guppy Split fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amorgan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have two guppies in a freshwater tank. One of my guppies is fine and healthy but my other guppy is much smaller and hasn’t eaten in the past 24 hours. He is at the top of the tank, like there isn’t enough oxygen and he is gasping, however my other fish is fine both at the top and the bottom of the tank and I have the filter and an air pump running so I don’t think oxygen is an issue. As I mentioned before he hasn’t eaten but more importantly his tail has started to deteriorate extremely quickly and the top half is almost completely gone, he has to use his two front fins to move himself around and struggles to stay up. Is there anything I can do to help him?

Well the guppy is probably at the top because he cant swim well and is exausted. The fish probably has fin rot. You might be able to cure it by doing lots of water changes and putting aquarium salt in the water, which can be found at almost any pet store.

When was your tank set up? Is it cycled? What are your water readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates? Sounds like the affects of ammonia poisoning.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom