Hair algae?!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bosnianblood69

Aquarium Advice Freak
So ive had my tank running since janurary and i started to get hair algae checked my phosphates and there at 0 so i added 12 little blue legs in my 110 with about 100lbs of LR and i was wondering if theres anything else i can do? Someone please help me thanks

Hair algae can be caused by either nitrates or phosphates. But just because they're 0 doesn't mean there's not a problem because the 0 may because the algae is consuming the excess nutrients.

I would like to know as well. I have a small hair algae problem in my 29 biocube, but it only shows up on the glass. 2 weeks ago I switched to a 5 stage RODI unit and have been doing 5g water changes weekly. I have the media basket with purigen and chemi pure elite, and the fuge with cheato. My nitrates are always 0. wouldnt the cheato be taking care of the phosphates? Ive noticed its not growing, but not dying either. what should we do?

If it doesn't appear to be growing then remove it. You can do this by using a syphon hose (lots of people use airline tubing) and then scrub it with a toothbrush. Make sure it's a new toothbrush cause you don't want to add toothpaste, I don't think the fish need it lol. As you scrub the algae syphon it out. You need to ensure your nitrates and phosphates are in check or it will grow back. You could also add something to eat it but I would recommend you try to avoid this approach. If you do go this route then I would avoid fish, a sea hare would be the best option. Problem with that is that once the algae is gone it will starve to death so it has to be removed and passed on to someone else with algae issues. My LFS actually has an exchange program in place for sea hares.

If it doesn't appear to be growing then remove it. You can do this by using a syphon hose (lots of people use airline tubing) and then scrub it with a toothbrush. Make sure it's a new toothbrush cause you don't want to add toothpaste, I don't think the fish need it lol. As you scrub the algae syphon it out. You need to ensure your nitrates and phosphates are in check or it will grow back. You could also add something to eat it but I would recommend you try to avoid this approach. If you do go this route then I would avoid fish, a sea hare would be the best option. Problem with that is that once the algae is gone it will starve to death so it has to be removed and passed on to someone else with algae issues. My LFS actually has an exchange program in place for sea hares.

I meant the cheato isnt growing or dying, sorry about that.

Back
Top Bottom