Hair Algea on Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salty27

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was away for a couple of weeks on business, leaving my reef tank in the care of an (unfortunately) inexperienced friend. While they did a good job(feeding, providing nutrients, topping off, etc. as instructed), I came back to a pretty bad hair algea bloom. So bad, that I noticed hair algea attached to my Bubble Coral and Pearl Coral (around where the plates are).

I tried picking away as much as I could, but it's really leached on and in between the plates. I don't want to dig into it either, for fear of damaging the flesh. Is there any direct treatment I could use (such as a dip of some kind) that would kill off the algea but wouldn't harm the corals?

...and yes, I did perform a 30% water change yesterday, changed all my filter media (including adding Phosphate and Nitrate sponges), scrubbed the glass and took a large amount of hair algea off the sand bed. I also unplugged the lights, and will them off for a couple of days. There is still hair algea on some of my rocks, which I'll probably have to scrub off.

I would not dip into anything, no. Manual removal might be best for now and perhaps some increased skimming and water changes for now to see if that gets it under control.

IF worst comes to worst, some mild work on the tissue of the coral should be okay, just don't go scrubbing it all off or picking wildly into it. :)

Back
Top Bottom