Halide lighting, with or without glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zuzecawi

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just a question. How many of you run your halides with a uv filtering glass lens/plate/window/etc between your lights and your tank? And if you run them in a canopy, how exactly are you accomplishing this?

The glass on most single-ended MH bulbs is UV shielded, so you do not need a shield for those types. I do have a piece of acrylic between my bulb and tank to prevent splashing and lower the heat transfer a bit.

I bought a kit with a reflector, mount, ballast, and bulb, then built an acrylic enclosure to fit around it. I added 4 computer fans to evacuate the hot air.

I have HQI sun replicator pendants so the glass is build into the fixture. A canopy with them would be easy. The only thing you would have to do is add cooling fans.

Yeah, I had a bit of a pendant mishap... was doing a pwc and my crocea clam squirted the halide!! Can we say POP PSST!!! Scared the crap out of me, this was the first time I've ever had that happen. Usually the clam just closes up and waits for the water to come back. Not this time! I can't exactly move the clam either, it's pretty well welded in place on the top of my reef. Since then I slid the uv glass back on.

Back
Top Bottom