Hand-feeding thoughts, anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chiroptera

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright, I know most sites talk about hand-feeding a lot of the more unique fish like eels, bichir, knives, and even more advanced creatures like fresh water stingrays.

While all this is good and well, I've never tried it myself due to fear that even though I wash my hand with plain water before-hand pretty vigorously (to avoid chemicals leftovers in soap) before putting my hands anywhere near the water, I'll still introduce harmful things into my tank.

Is this fear irrational? I know sometimes I have to over feed because I need more bloodworms than are necessary for my African Brown Knife, which is a pretty timid eater compared to my Eclipse Catdish, but has started getting used to me in the tank (Because of the high protein and extra feeding I have to do a little extra water change other than the normal 10% each week), and if I hand-fed it would be a relief, and really neat to be able to interact with my tank.

I've done a great job so far without it, but it is a considerably messy task with so much water, and so much food that slips into the gravel and away from the fish, especially with that much protein.

I don't necessarily need advice, I just want to know what the other users do, or if trying something new would harm my animals.

No big deal. As long as you rinse very well in just water and then dry your arms and hands you'll be fine. It's pretty hard to maintain an aquarium properly with out ever getting your hands in the tank.

Just make sure to wash your hands with warm water and scrum well.

I have my hands in the tanks all the time, sometimes spur of the moment. I think you need to put your fear aside and just enjoy the tanks. Hand-feeding is a blast and forms a tigher bond with you and your fish (some may think I'm anthropomorphizing, but really I'm not, I think of giving my dogs treats the same way).

Alright. I mean I put my hands in the tank now for cleaning, but if it's alright, then it will definitely help me with me maintenance. Any advice on how to get a fish used to you feeding it like that and being around the tank?

The knife is insanely curious and will approach my hand when cleaning, but won't get within an inch of it, and if I move he scatters.

At first depending on the food, Let it drop near the fish and put your hand near by. After a while they get used to it, usually.

Back
Top Bottom