hard water with calcium/rust in it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ruutah

Aquarium Advice Activist
Any suggestions for dealing with it? Apparently it's in the pipes of the place I just moved into. As I pulled the pipe coming off the pump out of the well yesterday and it was crystal clear, and didn't smell. Out of the faucets I get a very faint rust smell and the water is cloudy. I don't want to set my tanks up with this stuff only to have it kill the fish I painstakingly brought 24 hours down the road to here. As well as have the calcium tear up my equipment.

I imagine the plants will love the extra minerals in the water, but I'm not sure how the fish will take it. Am I just stuck with uncapping the well every time I want to pull water, or just suck it up and drive the 20 min each way for RO water and invest in more water jugs. The second idea is rather annoying as we just picked up a 75, 55, and 20L right after the move. (silly right? couldn't beat the price, all three were picked up for under 100 including stands for the 75 and 55)

Thanks in advance.

You better have that water or pipe lines checked out by the water company. I do know a little bit of rust in the water won't kill them, because I have a few of those fake reptile plants with the metal in my tanks for a couple of years with rust

Any suggestions for dealing with it? Apparently it's in the pipes of the place I just moved into. As I pulled the pipe coming off the pump out of the well yesterday and it was crystal clear, and didn't smell. Out of the faucets I get a very faint rust smell and the water is cloudy. I don't want to set my tanks up with this stuff only to have it kill the fish I painstakingly brought 24 hours down the road to here. As well as have the calcium tear up my equipment.

I imagine the plants will love the extra minerals in the water, but I'm not sure how the fish will take it. Am I just stuck with uncapping the well every time I want to pull water, or just suck it up and drive the 20 min each way for RO water and invest in more water jugs. The second idea is rather annoying as we just picked up a 75, 55, and 20L right after the move. (silly right? couldn't beat the price, all three were picked up for under 100 including stands for the 75 and 55)

Thanks in advance.

Might be more economic to install your own RO unit? Also if you know the problem lies in tap, could you not have this cleaned/replaced?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I may just do a in line filter for the sink I was going to use to fill my tanks from. Or add a spigot right after where the well comes out of the ground. The water pressure/flow there is rediculus. As in filled a 5 gallon bucket in seconds. Right now the priority is getting tanks up so I can get my fish out of this Rubbermaid tub.

Sent from my LG-H343 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom