Hard white balls forming on top of water.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chino1130

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'd tried searching, and the only thing I found was either calcium or worms, mainly in stocked salt water. I have a tank still in the fishless cycle process. Every few days I pull anywhere from 3-6 of these out.

imagevzj.jpg

imageqmpg.jpg

Can you crush them? If so, are they granular? That would probably be calcium or other mineral. A little weird it would be forming in a new uncycled tank though...

I can crush them firly easily. They don't break if I drop them on a counter top or anything. Myntank isalmost fully cycled. I'm estimating less that threedays away.

I have to say that I have no idea. It looks like they are floating on top of the water. Calcium or minerals will usually form somewhere, but rarely are they floating on top of the water.

I can only start guessing at this point. Are they substrate material? Filter material? When you crush them, what are they like? They must be fairly light since they float.

Is everything in the tank new? Could it perhaps be some of the packing material from your filter system or anything?

Back
Top Bottom