Hardscaping with bricks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dclark

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there,
Does anyone have experience with hardscaping with bricks?
I'm thinking of creating a two (possible three) tiered platform tank to create the illusion of a rolling hillside. Naturally I will cover with substrate and edge with natural stone to cover the fact I used brick.
Just curious to know what other tools people to use as a base layer to any aqua scraping designs they have.
Thanks
Doug

Hi! Cant help with aquascaping but if you do decide on 'bricks', use ones made of flagstone/quartz/something else nonreactive. Standard bricks (used to build houses) contain a variety of additives/chemicals/binders including but not limited to ammonium compounds. Not safe for aquariums. Good luck! :)

jlk said:
Hi! Cant help with aquascaping but if you do decide on 'bricks', use ones made of flagstone/quartz/something else nonreactive. Standard bricks (used to build houses) contain a variety of additives/chemicals/binders including but not limited to ammonium compounds. Not safe for aquariums. Good luck! :)

Thanks jlk, I've read something similar in that I would have to be careful what brings I put in a tank.

In terms of design most people seem to use brings as an actual design piece. Is there any reason not to use as a base in which to layer substrate over? Or is there any other items that could be used instead of brick. I see they guys at The Green Machine simply use plenty of substrate.

They make substrate supports specifically for the purpose of layered substrate, so that you don't wake up one day to find that your beautiful hill has rolled itself into a tiny incline. They're like a little dam lol.

paytertot said:
They make substrate supports specifically for the purpose of layered substrate, so that you don't wake up one day to find that your beautiful hill has rolled itself into a tiny incline. They're like a little dam lol.

You know where I might find online?

Back
Top Bottom