hardy fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What size tank are you planning on? There are lots of hardy options but you want to make sure it's something you're planning on keeping long term and that will be compatible with your other fish. If you are cycling a small tank, such as a 10 gal then getting a school of some of the mentioned tetras isn't really an option for you, let alone adding something later on.

Guppies are often used for fish in cycles because they are hardy. Prestilla tetras are a hardier tetra as well as the mentioned black skirts and black phantoms.

I just want to agree with tamtam here.

What do you ultimately plan on stocking in the aquarium? Of those fish that you plan on stocking, which is the heartiest?

Once you've identified the heartiest fish, the next question is, how likely is it that this fish will survive a fish-in cycle? If the fish is generally hearty, then I think you've found your fish-in cycle candidate.

If said fish is relatively fragile, you may wish to consider a fishless cycle.

As fish go, bettas are realtively hearty, so fish-in cycling with a betta can be done. As others have mentioned, fin rot may be a problem, but with daily testing and very frequent water changes, a fish-in cycle with a betta is manageable in my view.

I hope this has helped.

I cycled my first one with using guppies, x2 male and x4 female. .... All fish surrivived and the tank was cycled correctly
:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom