harvesting livestock from the ocean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilostnemo

Aquarium Advice Addict
well here pretty soon im headed to florida 1st a couple days in panama and then some in the keys and i was gonna do some snorkeling and maybe some scubing if the oil isnt there yet :( but i was wondering what would i have to do if i found some LR or a clam or something i liked? i wanna stay legal so thats why im asking :)

I'm pretty sure that's not going to be legal. You could check with the local authorities to find out though.

well here pretty soon im headed to florida 1st a couple days in panama and then some in the keys and i was gonna do some snorkeling and maybe some scubing if the oil isnt there yet :( but i was wondering what would i have to do if i found some LR or a clam or something i liked? i wanna stay legal so thats why im asking :)

It is legal, My best friend is a retired fed. and did alot of diving when he lived in florida. He kept a 500 gallon aquarium, and he would always dive and catch different species and keep them.

illegal to touch the liverock, you will defintiely end up in jail for that. it is a federal law, so it might not be on the short version of the regs, but liverock, longspinges, and bahama starfish, sea fans and all coral are protected under federal law. There is a bunch of other things under the rec. rules though, just make sure you find a rule on the species.

My buddy would just catch fish, and put them in his tank. not coral or anything like that. He said it was cool of some of the oddball crap he would come up with.

oh yeah plenty of legal items, you are allowed 20 total specimens basically, no more than 5 of any 1 species...just saying about the rock. Lots of people wouldn't think they protect rock, and end up getting in trouble when they would have left it alone if they knew. The starfish and urchins are similar, b/c the rules let you collect stars and urchins, and then in the fine print you find out those are endangered yet everywhere you look...lol... :) Divers always go for the oddballs, my friend, (also a collector), had a big thing for "dent heads". Cool fish I guess...lol..

thats cool i kinda wished i lived in florida where i could do that. but if your going on a vacation i dont see how you could keep them alive

Back
Top Bottom