Has anyone had a danio species tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just curious, as their behavior can be so fun to watch. Our LFS has a dozen or more varieties that have very interesting coloration, even.

Also curious ... If the giant danio is the largest what could the smallest be without getting eaten.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Eaten by what? Celestial pearl danios are pretty tiny and make for a fun species tank choice, particularly in planted tanks.

Maybe I'm misusing the term species tank. I mean a mix of danios?

(Trying to remember biology ... Kingdom ... Phylum ... )

Ohhh ok, I get it now. I'd nix my cpd suggestion in that case as they'd definitely get outcompeted for food. One thing to keep it mind is that a lot of danios are top dwellers so it could look a bit cluttered up at the top strata of your tank. Wish I could offer more suggestions based on personal experience but I haven't really kept many danios. Some of the slightly less common ones (purple passion danios come to mind) are extremely pretty though so I'm interested in hearing what others recommend.

Yeah right now I have Kyathit (like an orange finned zebra) and they 1) freak everyone out on occasion 2) encourage the Harlequin Rasboras to swim in ways no Rasbora should, and 3) are fun to watch.

Everyone else does ok for food, down to the neon tetras, so I hadn't considered competition. I use NLS .5mm pellets in the filter output so they get blown all over the tank, and the slower fish find them in the plants while the danios are at the top.

Also good point about swimming level. The 5 I have (was 6, they jump) are all over but they may behave differently with different cohorts.

And yes ... The Wet Spot here in Portland has so many. Orange bodies, purple bodies, orange fins ...

The ones I really want are danio Tinwinii (Burmese gold ring danio) but to do that I may have to modify my tank at work to a planted 10 in a spot with electricity.

Back
Top Bottom