hatchetfish jumped to his death!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

talloulou

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was feeding my fish this morning and I noticed only three hatchetfish instead of four. I looked all over the tank and couldn't find him dead or alive. Then I got out the broom and slid it between the wall and the fish tank and out the poor little fella came with a tumbleweed of dog hair.

I only have a tiny space of opening right where the filter hangs on the back. I guess I need to come up with a way to cover that space. So no more hatchetfish jump. Lately we have been getting mosquitos in the house at night and since we keep all the lights off except the fish tank lights and tv the mosquitos are attracted to those areas. I'm wondering if the poor guy saw a mosquito and jumped for it. Anyway it was very sad. I love my hatchetfish cause they are so calm and peaceful and yet crazy for their crickets.

RIP Mr. Hatchetfish

I'm sorry, too.

It's just crazy how good some fishes or shrimp can be in escaping the tank. Just a tiny opening and...
But he would have wanted that you get another one for him :mrgreen: .

Sorry, talloulou. I love hatchetfish, but since I have to remove the entire canopy to do maintenance, I'm afraid the same would happen here.

I use those plastic canvas craft sheet thingys. The ones you get for needle point stuff. They are very easy to cut to fit around cords and tubes and what not. And very inexpensive.

I had a zebra danio commit suicide too

WHY DO THEY DO THAT ??

we give them the 'Perfect' home,
we give them 'Perfect' water,
and they choose a more painful experience
:roll:

Great idea Meredith. I'm gonna check at Michael's craft store and see if I can pick some up. Then I will replace Mr. Hatchetfish cause it doesn't feel right only having three. :p

Back
Top Bottom