Have a made an error?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richardh

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was having a few cycling issues with my 17g. I couldn't get the nitrites to zero an built up in 4-5 days back to 0.5ppm. To help it out i decided to squeeze the filter media out of my 33g cycled tank. It seemed a good idea at the time. I didn't really anticipate just how much stuff was going to come out of the old filter cartridge! I have a very cloud tank now with lots of particles. It seems to be clearing a little after just an hour.

Question is, will this be harmful to the fish that are in there? I know I should have considered this beforehand, but ain't hindsight a wonderful thing! :p

It shouldn't directly harm them but the excess waste you squeezed in might contribute to the problem. If you want to seed a tank put the media in the filter. Does a better job that just squeezing it IMO. I'd do a PWC to try and clean some of the crap floating in the water.

Thanks, I'll do that. I see a lot has settled on the gravel, but the water itself seems to be clearing well.
I'll give it a good gravel vac and see if it has made the situation any better.

Back
Top Bottom