Have to re-scape my tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShawnKC

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am so bummed. I just purchased 5 zebra danios, 3 black skirt tetras and a blue crayfish for the tank. When I was floating the bags I noticed a foul odor coming from the water. Just on a whim I picked out one of the smaller pieces of driftwood and almost yakked. The smell was horrible. It gave off an odor not unlike sulfer or rotten eggs. I soaked the wood for three weeks to leach out any tannins and get it saturated and before I placed it in the tank it had no real odor then. I just removed all the driftwood and tested the water and it's still in acceptable levels for everything. I replaced the wood with a resin aquarium tree root but now the plants don't look right so I am going to have to re-scape the entire thing. :banghead:
Luckily I have a 10 gallon quarantine tank with the same water and a Duetto 100 filter to house the fish and cray while I redo the tank but I hope it doesn't stress them out too much to move them twice in one day.
I bought the driftwood from a local Petco in the fish department but now I'm thinking it might have been meant for terrariums and they just sold it for aquarium use.

Never thought of that. Could have been terrarium use only!

I did a bit more work on the tank. I have another smaller tree root that will go on the fight of the rock and some new plants on the way. I actually like this better, especially with the addition of the vines on the background.

Attachments

• nu tank2.jpg
    nu tank2.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 74
Back
Top Bottom