Hawkfish and Cleaner Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KSum89

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so i have had a cleaner shrimp for a year and a half and now id say its about at his full size. If i was to go buy a Longnose hawkfish , would it kill my cleaner even tho my cleaner has been in the tank first and made itself at home.

I dont want to part with this shrimp, we been through tough times ..

I really want to add one of these hawks though, but would rather not provide it with a 25$ meal. I have read multiple posts on this issue, many say as long as the shrimp is in first and bigger then there shouldnt be a problem. But others say their hawks waited til the shrimp molted to attack. What do you all think??

Oh yeah its a 55 gallon.
2 perc clowns
Various snails
1 small six line
1 engineer goby

Plan to add a hawkfish, & midas blenny and be done!

Edit: and i read more on Flames attacking the cleaners more than the longnose. So thats why im thinking about adding the longnose.

One more thing, my cleaner is in my quaratine tank. I moved it there because I went to the fish store to check out and possibly buy the hawkfish but its way to overpriced $60 so i will have to try the mom and dad fish place when i decide. But another question is.. Will my sixline attack the cleaner shrimp? Its real small too... I like buying my fish small to watch them grow.

I have 3 cleaner shrimp and a fire shrimp with my long nose hawk. I have had no problems with them but I did try to put some smaller peppermint shrimp in and they didn't last long.

See .. Im still getting mixed posts!! I dont know what to do lol.

Also, will my sixline attack the cleaner??

KSum89 said:
See .. Im still getting mixed posts!! I dont know what to do lol.

Also, will my sixline attack the cleaner??

It really depends on the fish, I have kept a six line, a small flame hawk and a skunk cleaner in the same 20gallon tank with no issues, but you never can be 100% certain until you try.

I would just not add the hawk fish. Your shrimp will be eaten like shrimp scampi.

Some things you just don't know. All fish are different. My hawk has never bothered my cleaners but you never know...

I think i will chance it. My cleaner is huge and shouls be established about time i find a better priced longnose hawk. Hopefully they will get along.

you should be fine adding the hawkfish. I have a flame hawkfish with my cleaner shrimp and they both are doing fine.

Attachments

• image-3627053567.jpg
    image-3627053567.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 86
So far my new longnose is on the other side of the tank and hasnt paid any attention to my cleaner, my hawkfish wont even eat some thawed shrimp i put in the tank too.. So hopefully thats a good sign.

He ignores pellets but he does chase down the flakes. I hate using flakes, but i guess i will have to add it in the rotation now.

IMO the sixline is fine to go with shrimps. I keep one with peppermint, fire, cleaner, and pistol shrimp.

One thing my hawk does that i hate... Ever since i introduced him to my tank he always squeezes inbetween the overflow and back on my aquarium. I scared him away from that spot three times..

He goes to the nearest rock watches me, then turns around and looks at the spot i just scared him away from.

I floated a clean toothbrush that floats to scare him off permanently lol.. He stayed away but stared at it all night. I turned off all the lights then went about my buisness....

I just checked my tank , he is back there again.... I dont like that spot because i cant see him unless i look from the side.

Back
Top Bottom