Heal a apple snail shell?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pokechoo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I have 2 adult apple snails, I kinda messed and was greatly missinformed about the ph lvl snails need. Well mistake fixed and all is well but... My female snails shell in the center is badly decentagrated but no snaily flesh is visable. I was wondering what I could do to help it grow back. If it can grow back. Anything I could feed em? I have some liquid calcium used for coral but im scared it my hurt my fish. Thanks for your time :)

I have not kept them myself, but I hear that a cuttlebone (Found at your local pet store, in the bird section) contains a good amount of calcium needed to repair and maintain their shells. Clean it, then drop it into an obvious place in the tank. They will gnaw/consume some of it, and the calcium boost should help in shell regeneration.

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!

Hope I helped!

I'm fairly sure they don't consume the cuttlebone but it does dissolve in the tank water leaving the calcium usable (how ever that works lol). The holes on the outside won't cover over completely. The snail will put don't a calcium layer over any holes to protect its insides.

If it gets any worse, I've seen where people have super glued egg shells over the damaged areas to protect the snail.

Mumma.of.two said:
I'm fairly sure they don't consume the cuttlebone but it does dissolve in the tank water leaving the calcium usable (how ever that works lol). The holes on the outside won't cover over completely. The snail will put don't a calcium layer over any holes to protect its insides.

I'm not honestly certain about this. I think one of us should put a snail in need of calcium in a relatively PH neutral tank and monitor if it munches on it at all.

I say this because if a human needs certain vitamins, the human body will make a food, which may not normally be appetizing, look amazing to the human.

I know that cuttlebone isn't exactly food, but neither are calcium pills, and we choke them down if we have calcium deficiencies. They may try to get the nutrients out of it of they're desperate.

It'd be something interesting to figure out

Thanks so much! I believe im going to try a bit of cuttlebone. If all else fails at least my snail babies will have nice strong shells :D

I'm not honestly certain about this. I think one of us should put a snail in need of calcium in a relatively PH neutral tank and monitor if it munches on it at all.

I say this because if a human needs certain vitamins, the human body will make a food, which may not normally be appetizing, look amazing to the human.

I know that cuttlebone isn't exactly food, but neither are calcium pills, and we choke them down if we have calcium deficiencies. They may try to get the nutrients out of it of they're desperate.

It'd be something interesting to figure out
Really sorry it wasn't accurate! I haven't done it myself, but I tried my best to piece all the information together :oops: I apologize!

That's why there is more than one person here, to correct the inexperienced :oops: .

phoenixkiller said:
Really sorry it wasn't accurate! I haven't done it myself, but I tried my best to piece all the information together :oops: I apologize!

That's why there is more than one person here, to correct the inexperienced :oops: .

I actually was agreeing with you lol.

Some one said on the forum somewhere that a well washed egg shell works well to. I have two snails in my tank, and after seeing your story, I may very well try this.

I drop a bottom feeder food tab in every other day or so, and although they are for the catfish, the snails are the only ones who eat them. No calcium, so they probably don't to anything for the shell.

Back
Top Bottom