Healthy looking fish suddenly dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lgeist

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, just getting back into hobby after a 10 year hiatus. Started up last month with a new 75 gal, lightly planted tank with a Fluval 406. I added liquid bacteria every day for the first few week to jump-start the cycle and now only adding a capful of SeaChem Stability bacteria (recommended dosage) with each new fish addition. I added two Danios on day 2, two Guppies around day 5, then two or three small fish every 3 to 5 days afterwards, all properly acclimated, while closely monitoring the water daily. At no time has the water ever been outside of acceptable parameters and have not exceeded 20 fish total (Neons, Serpae Tetras, Danios, Guppies, Cory) at any time.

Parameters are:

Ammonia: 0, Nitrites: 0, Nitrates: <5, Hardness 75 ppm, Alkalinity 120 ppm, PH 7.6, Temp 78, 20% water change every 7 - 10 days, CaribSea substrate, 10 misc. beginner plants. Twice daily light feedings alternating between flakes and granules, with occasional dried shrimp and/or bloodworms.

Starting about two weeks ago, I started losing random, healthy looking fish at a rate of about 1 every 2 days. What's odd is that they can be eating or schooling with their pals one minute looking completely normal, then within a matter of minutes start swimming sideways or upside down, then 15 minutes later be dead. I have witnessed this personally several times over the past few weeks. It is not specific to species either - I have lost four Neons, two Guppies, one Serpae Tetra, two Danios and one Platy in this manner. All of the fish that I have lost have lasted between 3 and 10 days from introduction to my tank.

I have looked for any obvious signs of disease or abnormal behavior but have seen none. Again, eating one minute, dead 15 minutes later! The first thing that comes to mind is stress, but I can't figure out what could possibly be stressing them. There is enough plants and fake driftwood pieces for cover and I don't see fish chasing/harrasing each other.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help! :facepalm:

Meh thats a tough one. Any chemicals got into the tank or degrading? IN the water supply?
Maybe call the water company, check the tank for non-fish ornaments or plants ect ect
Only thing i can come up with is New fish that just die for no reason or chemical poisining.

Meh thats a tough one. Any chemicals got into the tank or degrading? IN the water supply?
Maybe call the water company, check the tank for non-fish ornaments or plants ect ect
Only thing i can come up with is New fish that just die for no reason or chemical poisining.

Just a comment on water company ; I was wondering what my water quality was ( really was mostly concerned about chloramine ) so I called my local water company and they were very happy me a spread sheet that showed exactly what was in/or not in the water so any doubts a call to them can not hurt.

Yeah, my local water company posts their water quality results online every month and everything appears to be well within normal ranges.

At this point I'm really beginning to question the quality of the fish I'm getting from Petco and Petsmart. I went to both stores this morning and in many of their tanks, it looked like between 3-5% of their fish were dead. Not sure what the norm is in retail stores, but it doesn't give me a good feeling about purchasing there in the future.

Yeah, my local water company posts their water quality results online every month and everything appears to be well within normal ranges.

At this point I'm really beginning to question the quality of the fish I'm getting from Petco and Petsmart. I went to both stores this morning and in many of their tanks, it looked like between 3-5% of their fish were dead. Not sure what the norm is in retail stores, but it doesn't give me a good feeling about purchasing there in the future.

Keep in mind that the majority of those tanks are all plumbed into one filter system , if one tank is diseased it could spread to others connected to it.

Back
Top Bottom