Heat packs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

czcz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am shipping some plants from relatively moderate/warm weather to cold weather. The only heatpacks I have found locally are hand warmers that only last a few hours. Do I simply insulate the package as much as possible and hope the heat lasts? Are there longer lasting heatpacks, and if so, what are they called and where do I find them? Is a heatpack useless for this situation? Thank you.

When I get stuff shipped from Liveaquaria thats what it looks like they use more or less. They take a heat warmer pack, wrap it in a piece of newspaper and throw it inbetween the bags of fish in a styrofoam box. I think between 2 or 3 heat packs and the styrofoam box it keeps the heat pretty well.

Just remember, these things work by oxydisation, so if you do not punch a couple of ait-holes in the styro, or wrap the heat packs tightly, they will stop working.

If you can't get a hold of the heat packets Hara and An t-iasg showed us,you can wrap the plant baggie(or whatever your shipping them in) with newspaper then a heat pack(on both sides) then some cotton pad or more newspaper then another layer of newspaper.
I C H I P I H C I
I C H I P I H C I
I C H I P I H C I
I C H I P I H C I
I C H I P I H C I
I C H I P I H C I
srry if the diagram is confusing >_<

I=Newspaper
C=Cottom Pad
H=Heat Pad
P=whatever you're shipping in a baggie

I am not sure if it'll work.the cost of the cotton,newspaper,and the heat pad might be more expensive that the 60 hr heat pads that you can buy online.Just some thought,my way might cut off oxygen to the heat packs but I suppose it depends how tightly you pack it in.HTH

FYI, found these at the sporting goods store. This "Body Warmer" lasts up to 20 hours and only costs $1.50. They also had "Toe Warmers" and "Hand Warmers" (5 and 7 hours, respectively). The best I found at general stores were 7hour heatpacks.

Attachments

• heatpack.jpg
    heatpack.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 39
Back
Top Bottom