Heater is EXTREMELY hot...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YandereCapybara

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got Bojangles, my better, a heater today.
It has warmed the water a bit, but when I brushed my finger against it, it was hot enough to scorch my fingers :(
I quickly removed Bo from the bowl in order to prevent her from getting burnt, do all heaters get very warm like this, or should I remove it ASAP?

Another question is, I've noticed that people have advised against keeping bettas in fish bowls. However, is it okay if the bowl is more than 20 gallons, or is it still bad? (It's a round sphere type, not a cylinder)

Every heater I've ever had got hot. The fish seem to be smart enough not to touch it. I have my Betta in a Biorb 30liter that is filtered and has lights. It's a sphere. He's done well. I suggest you add plants the break up swim paths to keep any one from race tracking compulsively.

I'm surprised these heaters don't have some sort of grill around them with holes, so fish and humans don't touch that glass directly.

I think I have seen some with and outer sleeve somewhere but I have to imagine that's pretty hot too. Perhaps someone will chime in with other options. An inline heater if you happen to have a canister.

It was 77 Fahrenheit according to the thermometer, and the heater adjusted it to 78.
I bought it because it gets very cold in Canada during the winter (Last time, my fish actually froze to death a couple years ago during a particularly cold one)
I moved her into the cup she came in with the same water she lives in, and she was pretty cooperative and swam into the cup when she saw a pellet in there.
Not sure how to adjust the heater, or what kind it is.
Also, what should I do to warm my betta in case of a power outage during winter?

I heard somewhere that a general rule for tank heaters is 2.5 watts per gallon.

I didn't see anywhere if you mentioned your heaters wattage, and I think I saw a tank size of 20 gallons, is that right?

If so, a 50 watt heater would probably do.

There are smaller Betta heaters out on the market s well, for smaller heaters and tanks.

Back
Top Bottom