Heater placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crocodylus

Aquarium Advice Regular
South of the Border... down Mexico way...
Where is the best place to put a submersible heater in relation with a power filter?
Is it at different ends? Is it under the filter intake? Is it close to the gravel?
All this for a 30G-50G setup using an EBO and a Penguin 330

Thanks in advance 8)

As long as the heater is in the tank it should do its job fine. If you put it near the filter just make sure it isnt touching the filter, or any plastic plants, it probably wouldn't be enough to melt anything but just to be on the safe side..

yea, like conan said, just about anywhere is fine.

if your tank is heavily planted or decorated, then placing the heater where you're assured water circulation is important ... if it's in a pocket of slow water, it won't heat your tank as efficently and would tend to "over heat" the water just in that area.

I've noticed many of the veterans of AA have their heaters placed diagonally in their tanks. Is this purely aesthetic or do y'all know something we don't? :) Just curious.

Ryan

i got one veritcal and two diagional

the vertical one is hiding behind plants, so it's not "in your face, I'm a heater"

I think placing them on a slant helps water circulate better off the heater due to convection, helping to increase the efficiency on the heater.

I usually place my heaters diagonally because my heaters have the thermostat in the top part and when the heater heats up the water it rises to the thermostat, then the heater shuts off. I find that when I set them up diagonally, the warm rising water doesn't affect the thermostat as often.

As fas as general placement, I prefer them near the filter output, or near powerheads, so the warm water circulates throughout the tank.

HTH

i agree, near a power head the heat gets displaced fast and never stays warmer by the heater. i have noticed the top of the heater where the thermostat is, if near the top of the water it turns off sooner because the heat of the lights,making the surface warmer then deeper in tank.

I put mine on the opposite end of the HOB filter. I read in one of my books that the constant waterflow over the heater will overheat the tank--I'm not sure if this is true but better safe than sorry. I have mine sitting at a diagnal for aesthetic reasons.

I never really thought about it before. My heater is next to the intake so as to circulate the warm water and it easily accessable if I need to adjust it.
Louise

Back
Top Bottom