heater-preset or adjustable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am getting another heater for my 29 gallon tank. I have a 10 gallon with a tetra heater for 10-15 gallon tanks. I am trying to decide if I should spend a little more and get a heater you set yourself or stick with the tetra brand that comes set for a specific temp. The one I am considering is a Jager 100 watt Thermostat Heater. Do I really need to be able to adjust the temperature?

The adjustable ones are better for a few reasons:

Usually the thermostat is of a higher quality and the deadband a little narrower to keep the tank at a set temperature, and also if you should ever be unfortunate enough to get ich in your tank, you will have to go out and get a new heater to treat the tank, since with a preset you cannot raise the temperature.

Everything I have ever read also says the adjustable ones tend to last longer and be more reliable as well. To that I cannot speak directly, as I have never owned a preset heater.

Thanks for the reply. I am going to go ahead and order the adjustable one. It is on sale and only $4 difference in price than the cheapest preset one I can find. It also says it can be calibrated. Supposed to make it more accurate. Never knew getting a fish tank could get this complicated. LOL

LOL oh just wait - today it is adjustable heater or no, tomorrow it will be zeovit reactors and 2 part autodosing solutions :)

Back
Top Bottom