Heater versus temp fluctions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkmuller

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 25 watt marine land versa heater and set the dial at 79. Now my in tank digital thermometer shows fluctuating temps 83.8, then 84.2. Later it will be 81, 82. I know that room temps might factor this but I thought that this should be consistent to one degree or so. My home or room temp is 70 degrees. I unplugged it to bring the temp down due to reading 84.9. I have a 5.5 gal tank with one betta and low watt floresant bulb. Washington state weather changes so much it could be 60 out day time then 40 outside . Please help with this.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Marineland heaters aren't that good. I would look into a better heater tbh. Eheim Jager are particularly good heaters that are able to be calibrated. It's a little powerful for your aquarium but it should still work.

Cobalt aquatics also makes a decent heater for that size tank but it's a little expensive.

Internal digital thermometers can be quite unreliable. I have found the external thermometer with an internal probe to be better. Also, the amount of water movement around your heater can affect the average tank temp. It should be steady but not too manic.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have the digital outside thermometer with the probe inside and is located away from the current area. Thanks for the advice I ordered the cobalt aquatic 25 watt heater for her. The features look like they will be accurate . It cost 65.00 but overall will be worth not being frantic about constant water temp fluctuations.

In case you needed reassurance: I have those Colbalt heaters in all of my tanks now and I love them. Super reliable, low profile and if you have a black background they blend in very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom