Heating DIY CO2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Feynman

Aquarium Advice Activist
My DIY CO2 output goes down significantly 5-7 days after making it... so I'm having to replace it about once a week. It seems like people usually say their CO2 lasts about 2 weeks.

I know I can reduce the amount of yeast I'm using to make the CO2 output last longer but I'm using a pretty standard formula I think. 2 cups sugar with 1/4 teaspoon yeast in a 2-liter bottle. Some suggest placing the bottle into a bucket with a fishtank heater in it to keep the solution at a comfortable temperature for the yeast fermentation process. Do you guys think this would help me keep my CO2 longer? If you heat yours, what temperature do you keep it at?

It would help keep output steady... I dont know about longer the alcohol kills the output.. try a little baking soda in your mix for extending the time.. and if you want to use the heater idea it would be safer to use a small glass tank then a plastic bucket..
PM Zezmo for his mix..*edit* removed PM Zezmo link *edit*
its a bit complicated but he says it lasts him about a month!! 8O 8O :mrgreen: :mrgreen: it has a bit of protein powder and molasses mixed in it..LOL

I replace my DIY CO2 after 4 weeks, but even when I replace it it isn't totally dead.

my standard disclaimer, is that I can only speak to my own experience, and I got all my info from other folks internet pages. That said...

My DIY set up is 4, 2-liter bottles. I change 2 of them every 2 weeks. To prepare the Yeast i take one pack of yeast and put it with 2 tablespoons of sugar in a 1 cup measuring cup filled with Tepid water (tepid should feel neither warm nor cold). I mix this completely, and set it aside for an hour. The yeast should be at room temperature before you start.

I then take 2, 2-liter bottles. In each bottle, I put 2 cups of sugar, 1 scoop chocolate muscle blast (Safeway brand protein drink), 1 tsp of baking soda, 1 tablespoon of dark molasses (Grandmas brand). I then fill the bottle with water to about 3-4 inches from the top, which is just below where the bottle begins to curve at the top. I mix this very well.

Then, I mix my cup of yeast again, and add half to each bottle. I let this sit; uncapped (open) overnight.

A bit more complex than just tossing in some sugar and yeast, but I have been using this formula for a few months with much success.

keep the mixture in the 70-75 degree range for optimal output, without going too warm to make it quit prematurely.

Feynman, is the yeast fast/quick rise?

I keep my bottles beside or behind tanks, and their only heating is from the tank's light, fwiw. I change each mix every two weeks to get closer to stable CO2 (bottles still have some output with 2 cups sugar and regular active dry yeast).

Interesting mix Z. I have never seen that before. My apartment is usually 72 degrees so I guess that's not affecting it. I'll check the type of yeast. I'm guessing the quick rise yeast would have a higher metabolism and build up the alcohol level or use up the sugar fast? I didn't think to check when I bought it. I remember the yeast bottle said to store it in the fridge but everyone says to use it at room temperature... anyone know why?

Refrigeration is to keep the yeast alive longer.. and to activate it your suppose to mix it with tepid water after letting it come to room temperature first.. This is to help with not shocking the yeast killing part or some of it..

when I did DIY, I'd warm the yeast in my palm for a minute, then add it to the tepid/lukewarm water.
Quick rise yeast probably has a shorter lifespan, and a higher metabolism. My guess is you'd get fast CO2 at the beginning, adn then it'd taper off quickly.

Back
Top Bottom