Heavy breathing troubleshoot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cole_russell

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 22 african cichlids in my 60 gallon aquarium. I had the tank filtered with an emperor 400 pro series hob and a fluval 406 canister. When I removed the hob (it was very loud and a hastle) the fish seem to have started breathing a bit heavy and white bacteria has suddenly appeared on the glass and rocks. When I noticed this I put my old power head back on to create some more surface agitation and to help aerate the water yet I haven't noticed a reduction in heavy breathing. So my question to those more experience is what can I do and what might be wrong? I did my usual bi weekly water change today so could that be a factor?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have 22 african cichlids in my 60 gallon aquarium. I had the tank filtered with an emperor 400 pro series hob and a fluval 406 canister. When I removed the hob (it was very loud and a hastle) the fish seem to have started breathing a bit heavy and white bacteria has suddenly appeared on the glass and rocks. When I noticed this I put my old power head back on to create some more surface agitation and to help aerate the water yet I haven't noticed a reduction in heavy breathing. So my question to those more experience is what can I do and what might be wrong? I did my usual bi weekly water change today so could that be a factor?

Pics?

By removing one filter you removed "half" of the BB. I think the remaining part wasn't able to the process the load.

Tank parameters?

That is what I was thinking. I also would get a second filter on that to help with the load.. You will probably go through a mini cycle.

Well I just went to look for the cylinders to test the water but it seems I misplaced my whole kit in the move! Going to have to go to petsmart and pick up a couple things after work it looks like. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407246766.899659.jpg that is the once clear intake tube on the remaining canister. Another thing I thought I'd share is yesterday I found a fish dead and inside the powerhead I have no clue how long it had been dead for so immediately upon finding it's body I did a 50% wc. Probably will be doing another today if the parameters don't check out after work.

sometimes a heavy bacterial bloom can effect breathing as the free floating bacteria can get caught up in the gills. Think of having a chest cold and being congested, same kind of thing.
during this time you should avoid anything like Stress Coat or similar products that may contribute to the "mugginess" (for lack of a better word) of the water.
Water changes and replacing the filter removed theoretically should help clear things up.

Well I guess I get to buy a new master kit because mine seems to have grown a pair of legs and walked away.

Instead of replacing the hob I'm going to clear up 2 out of 4 trays in my canister and fill em up with bio media. Seemed to me that hobs aren't very useful in actually filtering water. All they have is filter floss charcoal and if you buy a bio wheel series a bio wheel. All that filter was doing was a bit of bio filtration and creating flow; albeit, in hindsight I really should have added the ceramic media BEFORE removing the hob.

From entrance to return the water would run through filterfloss, sponges, ceramic media(/bio balls idk how well they work for malawi tanks), ceramic media, filter floss, ceramic media.

I'm on break right now, I'll be able to test the water in a couple hours, see what's going on, to be able to continue with a better course of action.

This is ridiculous I've tried 3 places all out or wayy to expensive on the master kits!

Okay got it tested finally looks like ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate looks like somewhere between 10-20. Hard to tell strips were the only thing I could find (All of the master kits at petsmart were sold out and couldn't find em for a reasonable price at the lfs). Ph looks like about an 8, gh is like 180+ from the tap and in both tanks and kh looked about a 120. I added an additional 500mg of ceramic bio media for now. Moved everything around did a small water change (mostly to pick up loose poops and check for dead fish), less than 5g.

Back
Top Bottom